Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Interesting to look at the relative coefficients of friction for the various materials. It should be noted however that this is when the surfaces of the parent metal (including the wheels) are spotlessly clean, otherwise ,aside from the electrical conductivity issues mentioned above, the friction and thus efficiency of converting the motor power into motion is really about the tarnish or oxidising films' friction coefficient. For instance static friction coefficient for steel is around 0.75 and this reduces to around 0.25 when a thick film of oxidation is present (this is a steel on steel case)

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
That's where I was goin to go David too. I don't want to experience the pain of purchasing several wrong (or less appropriate) motor and gearbox combinations when someone can advise me of the better way to go. That's got to be worth 10 quid to me alone.

My last Mashima and Branchlines box purchase was purely based on the option presented by the particular kit manufacturer that supplied it with the chassis.

I was quite daunted by the prospect of the build and trust me when I say I read and read and read instructions over and over before starting anything.

Tell me or show me the "best" way and I will embrace it for sure, what ever the aspect of the hobby.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts