Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
The big problem with Tracksetta is that is does not fit the R1/2/3/4 standard as they are not made by Peco, you will never match the smooth curve of up to R4 from the pre manufactured curves and I would recommend using these on tighter radius.

R4 is 572mm which is 22.5 inches, as a result you do not need any tracksetta less than 24 inches.

Another problem is that as they step up at 3 inch centres then this is 75mm, so you cannot reproduce the 6 foot way (or 50mm centres) using tracksetta alone, you must lay the inside track and then take off the next track by using the Peco red gauge. Even at 24 inches (610mm) the tracks are getting too close so test with coaches to ensure the ends miss the other train on the parallel track.

Next getting the join is difficult, flex does want to straighten out so if you can avoid the join in the middle of a curve do so.

Finally long sweeping curves always look good and at large radiuses you really do not need a tracksetta anyway, so buy the 24, 27, 30 inch ones and try them first.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Well now you know Mallardman is right about the solder but then you have to use that as the point in the middle, fix it and then bends the end away from the centre so you put less strain at the join. (I'm too last to do this)

R3 is 505mm or about 20 inches, there may be a 21 inch tracksetta but you will never get it right, then using a 24 inch will give too big a 6' way (the space between the rails on a railway)

So one way or t'other you're scuppered!

Take my advice use pre made rails its a lot less bother, you can use the flexi is you say used 3 not 4 one eight curves so then you can nicely transition onto the straight but getting it right will exercise your time.

Otherwise please prove me wrong, nothing like experience gained the hard way.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts