Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just noticed a comment on the Hornby Forum that traction tyres don't suit DCC. Can anyone explain why this is please?

I've got two Ringfield powered, tender driven loco's fitted with traction tyres that seem to be running ok, however I have no inclines at present on my layout. If there is a problem with traction tyres, what are my options, how difficult would it be to re-wheel these loco's?

Thanks

Mike

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
There was a reported problem somewhere (maybe on here) that seemed to point to a slippage problem caused by bad motor control.

Traction tyres do not & cannot cause a problem with DCC unless the loco suffers from pick up problems.

IMHO - if you locos are running fine with traction tyres/DCC then leave well alone & carry on.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Traction tyres and DCC. The theory is they leave a film on the track which effects electrical continuity. If your loco's are running well just keep the track clean which I assume you do anyway.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 18 Jan 2007, 17:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Traction tyres and DCC. The theory is they leave a film on the track which effects electrical continuity. If your loco's are running well just keep the track clean which I assume you do anyway.

Never heard of that theory before although they do seem to spread any dirt around the layout. As you say, keep the track clean anyway & there should be noe problems.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A wheel with a traction tyre cannot be used or relied upon as a power pick up wheel. You cannot rely on the flange only to draw current. More of an issue with D & E locos than steam and of course it does mean that steam locos with traction tyres on the tender cannot employ the tender as a power pick up. Only effects older locos as newer designs no longer have traction tyres and pick up can therefore be maximimized.

Note the move by Hornby to no longer fit traction tyres to former Lima locomotives and provide pick ups to all bogies. New Hornby Lima will be a much better proposition for digital than old Lima as a result of this change.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts