Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a student and not having a lot of time on my hands Laughing I decided to have a go at designing a layout which could fit into the room I currently live in. The OO layout had to have:

1) a goods loop
2) a terminus station
3) some sort of industrial feature
4) a TMD or stabling point

So, here is a description of what I have created:

"Trad Brick" is a fictional town in the North West with a medium sized semi-terminus station. The station has four platforms, three are termini, one is a runthrough (due to space issues it is not a runthrough on the layout). To the East of Trad Brick there is a small Quarry/ ballast store which operationally will run similarly to Peak Forest in Derbyshire in that the class 60/66s will do most of their own shunting.

I wanted to include a goods loop on the layout, i'm a big fan of modern diesels. Because the station is a terminus I wouldn't be able to run the length trains I wish, so the fiddle yard is actually underneath the baseboard, the tunnel disguised by a road bridge and a large factory building which disguises the curve of the track, and the fact that the track goes under the baseboard. It suggests that the track would carry on behind the factory and doesn't go under it. This would hopefully enable longer goods trains to run along the goods loop.

To the North of the station is a TMD with engine shed and refuelling facilities.

Stock:
Modern image
Class 66, Freightliner, EWS, Malcolm
Class 60, as above
Class 08, EWS
Class 37 DRS
Pendolino, Virgin
Voyager, Virgin
Various DMUs (for local traffic) Arriva,

Rolling stock
intermodal flatbeds
Nuclear flask traffic
Coal hoppers
Seacows

I think that's it really, i'm not sure what to include in the central section, perhaps farmland, or buildings to represent the transition of rural to town.
I've also not layed out the pointwork in the fiddle yards just yet, that requires a bit more thinking Laughing so it's a bit basic for the time being.

Comments, criticisms, Suggestions?

Dave

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE Being a student and not having a lot of time on my hands
What..... I thought all students spare time was taken up with drinking cheap beer/cider/wine or whatever they can get their hands on and chasing the fairer sex (whatever they can get their hands on too!!!) Ha ha.

Like the plan, but consider as to how you're going to access the 'underground goods fiddle yard' area for de railments or stock moving etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Brian @ 6 May 2007, 12:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What..... I thought all students spare time was taken up with drinking cheap beer/cider/wine or whatever they can get their hands on and chasing the fairer sex (whatever they can get their hands on too!!!) Ha ha.

Like the plan, but consider as to how you're going to access the 'underground goods fiddle yard' area for de railments or stock moving etc.

Well at the moment i'm supposed to be revising, so doing stuff on my computer makes me feel better than going down the pub and drinking the hours away! (My girlfriend gets annoyed when she finds me chasing the fairer sex!!)

I'd not really thought much about baseboard construction for the underground bit, but i'd hope to leave a fair bit of space so that I could reach far enough into the fiddle yard to rectify any calamities! I'd also considered cutting the upper baseboard off at an angle so that it is flush with the northernmost stabling stabling siding and so that a couple of feet of the bottom baseboard was visible.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I think you could do a bit more with the TMD to make life (ie operation) a bit more interesting. See, for example, Rimenough MPD where the layout is the TMD. Probably more complex than your needs but with useful pointers to what ought to be there.
Best wishes, both with the layout and studies,
Regards,
John Webb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts