Model Railway Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just arrived so hope it's OK I ask for advice. Doing some work for a guy who's getting on and he's got an OO gauge layout with maybe 6 locos, 20 coaches, 40 trucks, etc (just guessing after a quick look). We got talking as I haven't had anything since my train set quite a few years ago but I've suddenly got inspired.
He says he's too old to do anything with them so would I be interested in talking it off his hands - instead of the cash he'd normally pay me. What I've seen seems to work OK but I'm sure things have moved on and maybe even he doesn't know if they are in good condition. Is this a good or a bad idea? Is there a good way to test or price these?
Apologies if a stupid question or I'm getting carried away. Any thoughts welcomed
Vern

·
In depth idiot
8,186 Posts
Always sensible to ask the question.

Find out what the items are if possible. Are they made in the UK and/or from discontinued brands (Triang-Hornby, Hornby, Dapol, Hornby-Dublo, Airfix GMR, Mainline, Wrenn etc) or from Italy, (Lima): or are they more recent products made in China (Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby, and there's more) by looking at any boxes.

Reason for suggesting this is that there was a step change in RTR OO model quality from the late 1990s with the shift to manufacturing in China, exploiting the proven technique from HO made for the North American market. Frankly I wouldn't place any significant value on the older stuff: with a very few exceptions, there's all of poor/dated design, weak construction and limited spares all over it. Experience is required to pick out the good from the mass of dross. But as ever, yours to decide, if it really appeals...

What I would further suggest is a quick trip to a model shop to see what the current product is like. Guide to locations:

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
In terms of older items Wrenn is the model worth having whereas Triang not very much at all, if you could post a photo or two that would help as 34c says post 2000 is pretty good and pre 2000 pretty poor in relative terms but there are always a few gems here and there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. Had a look and a chat today and indeed it's old old Hornby stuff at least 30 years old. I was impressed to start with but having done a bit more research, etc. I think starting with this kit would not be a good idea after all. No matter - it's got me inspired as indeed has the stuff I read here. So I may lurk a little longer as I see what's what.
Thanks again for the advice.
Vern

1 - 4 of 4 Posts