Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vendor
29 Posts
It used to be meaningful at one time.............kettles were always known by their names and not numbers, and the better diesels carried on that tradition. We always called the Deltics by name as well as number, I guess the same happened with the Westerns.

The familiarity went once they started calling locos MacDonalds or the Association of Ant Collectors or some such rubbish (apologies to ant collectors everywhere....) and the names were removed almost as soon as they had been fitted and did not stay with the loco for the remainder of its natural.......

There is geater respect for a sensible name and not transient rubbish (now theres an appropriate idea for a modern loco name if ever I heard one....)

·
Vendor
29 Posts
When we learnt the HST's back in 1978, it was suggested they should be named. A list was put up on the messroom notice board and soon attracted suggestions like :

Bubble & Squeak
Marks & Spencer
Hinge & Bracket
Thick & Thin
Duck & Dive

plus many others I can't recall now.

Sadly, BR never saw fit to adopt any of the proposals, but maybe with the passage of time some would be considered reasonable now...........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.