Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (boilermaker69 @ 9 Sep 2006, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Victorian Railways have a habit of naming locos, currently all the "N" Class locos are named after provincial Victorian cities/towns.

I just remembered that last night. I have seen the "City of Ballarat" going through Richmond pulling a V line train while I was waiting to change trains a few times.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Clydfan @ 9 Sep 2006, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In reply to Neil Wood
TRAINS in US still carry the names of the famous early 20th century expresses.Until recent times The Rhinegold ran from Basel to Cologne and of course in the 30s the Flying Hamburger from Berlin to Hamburg was the world's fastest train.
Some LOCOMOTIVES in the USA carried names in the19th century and the earliest German locos were aaaalso named-Der Adler for e.g.
ON the Blue Train of course the original was the nickname given to the train de luxe with its blue wagons-lits which ran to the South of France and became a by-word for swish travel.[Hornby sold a set in gauge 0 in the 30s]
I was thinking more of names of locomotives than of actual train services.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.