Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my g/f has bought me the hornby select and decoder for me birthday.
i have wired it up as the diagrams say, and had it working this morning.
but when i have gone back to it tonight, the train won't work and the select is flashing at me, a funny smell and a slight buzzing plus the decoder gets hot when the track is live. what's happened to me train?
i suspect it burnt out but it was fine this morning.

by the way i have bypassed the decoder the the train runs fine.

Thanks

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Did you renumber the loco (reconfigure the decoder)? If so, try the default number or '3'. Sometimes the Hornby decoders default back to this after a short.

If it doesn't work, it could be that the decoder is 'fried'. In that case, you'll have to take it back to the shop for a replacement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 26 Feb 2008, 17:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you renumber the loco (reconfigure the decoder)? If so, try the default number or '3'. Sometimes the Hornby decoders default back to this after a short.

If it doesn't work, it could be that the decoder is 'fried'. In that case, you'll have to take it back to the shop for a replacement.

yeah i tried reconfiguring it but no joy i'll try the default number.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still not working, the screen not flashing now, but still the decoder gets hot soon's ever the track is live.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does sound like the decoder has died and you are getting a short through it which is probably why the controller is flashing. Does the controller have a troubleshooting guide in the instructions? By bypassing the decoder you might affect the warranty, did you alter the wiring or just unplug it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 26 Feb 2008, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does sound like the decoder has died and you are getting a short through it which is probably why the controller is flashing. Does the controller have a troubleshooting guide in the instructions? By bypassing the decoder you might affect the warranty, did you alter the wiring or just unplug it?

i had to rewire the train, didn't have a decoder plug. i thought perhaps i wired it wrong but i had it going this morning.
the instructions don't help.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Sounds to me like the decoder is dead, probably killed by a short circuit between the motor connections. First thing to do is to check all your wiring carefully. if you want help with that probably best to either upload a photo or describe it in detail. Best to find out why this happened so that it doesn't happen again.

If the chip got very warm, it is almost certainly dead.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the decoder i have is the r8215. (hornby)

i used there instruction guidelines.

i put the orange the right of the motor
Grey to the left of the motor
Black to the left rail
and red to the right rail.

the only wires i could have got mixed up with, is the motor ones. would this have blown the decoder?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (Matt1984 @ 26 Feb 2008, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the only wires i could have got mixed up with, is the motor ones. would this have blown the decoder?

No, they can be placed either way round.

Are any of the wires shorting with the chassis? Are are your joins insulated?

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
If you are sure all the wires are in the correct place and are insulated from each other then the chances are that the decoder was faulty, there is a hidden short that you can't see (you can check this with a continuity test using a multimeter) or the motor was drawing more power than the decoder could handle. Unlikely with a new loco, but not impossible.

Hope I'm not confusing you here!

Rob

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You probably got the wiring right - this hornby decoder is actually quite low power handling and has a reputation for dying spontaneously.

I'd send or take the dead one back with a comment that it ran fine when installed but simply refused to work the next day. l Ask for another brand as a replacement, as the same thing is very likely to happen again.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Richard,

Not that I wil buy hornby decoders (locsound 3.5 for me!) but is this a case of bad design with the decoder or a fault with the select?

John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 27 Feb 2008, 15:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

Not that I wil buy hornby decoders (locsound 3.5 for me!) but is this a case of bad design with the decoder or a fault with the select?

John

**Hi John

Impossible to know specifically, however both will contribute one way or another:

The select waveform "sawtooth ringing" peaks at a voltage that will destroy all but a tough decoder (super high peaks after any momentary short do much of the damage) and the decoder is relatively low power handling at the best of times.... No am arriage made in heaven, although some seem happy enough with their Select so perhaps some are beter than others.

Best way to live with it is to accept the Select as is (it was a gift after all) and either try once more wwith an Hornby decoder OR simply use decoders that will survive - probably the Bachmann or Lenz Silver (with fingers crossed).

I'd recommend TCS normally but TCS just will not accept the Select waveform as a valid DCC signal (because it isn't) so I can't in this case...

Best case: Possibly......

There are rumours of new software for Select that improves it somewhat so perhaps the best step is to try one more hornby decoder and then if problems happen return the Select to Hornby for re-work to current state and with luck it'll improve it a bit - however I've not seen one with a clean enough waveform yet so I cannot really give a "this will fix it" answer - maybe is the best I can manage :).

None are good options - no comsumer should have to live with this sort of manufacturer created problem.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me too! one minute fine, the next it has blown! Seems to be the hornby decoder, slthough when they do work they guve really good low speed running. Don;t l;et this bad luck put you off DCC it is well worth perservering: I have learnt the hard way many times!

oh, by the way, Hornby decoders are reputed to become hot when on track, but the flashing sounds like a short circuit.

I have been trying to email hornby since the end of december for a replacement decoder and so far have sent 5 messages (at least) to variuos contacts on their website and have had no reply. Their customer service is appaling. I cannot take decoder back to shop as I lost the receipt.

Anyone else have problems with Hornby Customer service?

And a picture would be good if you want help on wiring!

Hope this is of help and that you get it working again soon!

·
Trainee pensioner
212 Posts
QUOTE (Locoman1 @ 27 Feb 2008, 21:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been trying to email hornby since the end of december for a replacement decoder and so far have sent 5 messages (at least) to variuos contacts on their website and have had no reply. Their customer service is appaling. I cannot take decoder back to shop as I lost the receipt.

Send the decoder back to Hornby with a covering letter, I got 12 changed (including two of the special 4 pin plug ones used in the mixed goods set), took about a week

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Richard,

I suppose I am lucky. My Marklin 6021 is about 10 years old and I have never had any problems with it.

My Loco's have either Marklin or ESU decoders in them, and I have only ever destroyed one which was my fault.

Ultimately, I guess you get what you pay for.

That being said, well done to Hornby for trying trying to grow the British DCC market, but they could have teamed up with an existing manufacturer and had a slightly more expensive product with their brand on it aka Marklin/ESU, Fleischmann/Uhlenbrock.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got my loco running with a new decoder, not responding to the select though. speed and direction etc. need to read the instructions think it might be in analogue mode?
but least it's running , one step closer, lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The loco is now running as it should, i am not finding it easy to work this select controller.
Hope i get used to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts