Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my g/f has bought me the hornby select and decoder for me birthday.
i have wired it up as the diagrams say, and had it working this morning.
but when i have gone back to it tonight, the train won't work and the select is flashing at me, a funny smell and a slight buzzing plus the decoder gets hot when the track is live. what's happened to me train?
i suspect it burnt out but it was fine this morning.

by the way i have bypassed the decoder the the train runs fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 26 Feb 2008, 17:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did you renumber the loco (reconfigure the decoder)? If so, try the default number or '3'. Sometimes the Hornby decoders default back to this after a short.

If it doesn't work, it could be that the decoder is 'fried'. In that case, you'll have to take it back to the shop for a replacement.

yeah i tried reconfiguring it but no joy i'll try the default number.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still not working, the screen not flashing now, but still the decoder gets hot soon's ever the track is live.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 26 Feb 2008, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does sound like the decoder has died and you are getting a short through it which is probably why the controller is flashing. Does the controller have a troubleshooting guide in the instructions? By bypassing the decoder you might affect the warranty, did you alter the wiring or just unplug it?

i had to rewire the train, didn't have a decoder plug. i thought perhaps i wired it wrong but i had it going this morning.
the instructions don't help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the decoder i have is the r8215. (hornby)

i used there instruction guidelines.

i put the orange the right of the motor
Grey to the left of the motor
Black to the left rail
and red to the right rail.

the only wires i could have got mixed up with, is the motor ones. would this have blown the decoder?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got my loco running with a new decoder, not responding to the select though. speed and direction etc. need to read the instructions think it might be in analogue mode?
but least it's running , one step closer, lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The loco is now running as it should, i am not finding it easy to work this select controller.
Hope i get used to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts