Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You probably got the wiring right - this hornby decoder is actually quite low power handling and has a reputation for dying spontaneously.

I'd send or take the dead one back with a comment that it ran fine when installed but simply refused to work the next day. l Ask for another brand as a replacement, as the same thing is very likely to happen again.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 27 Feb 2008, 15:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,

Not that I wil buy hornby decoders (locsound 3.5 for me!) but is this a case of bad design with the decoder or a fault with the select?

John

**Hi John

Impossible to know specifically, however both will contribute one way or another:

The select waveform "sawtooth ringing" peaks at a voltage that will destroy all but a tough decoder (super high peaks after any momentary short do much of the damage) and the decoder is relatively low power handling at the best of times.... No am arriage made in heaven, although some seem happy enough with their Select so perhaps some are beter than others.

Best way to live with it is to accept the Select as is (it was a gift after all) and either try once more wwith an Hornby decoder OR simply use decoders that will survive - probably the Bachmann or Lenz Silver (with fingers crossed).

I'd recommend TCS normally but TCS just will not accept the Select waveform as a valid DCC signal (because it isn't) so I can't in this case...

Best case: Possibly......

There are rumours of new software for Select that improves it somewhat so perhaps the best step is to try one more hornby decoder and then if problems happen return the Select to Hornby for re-work to current state and with luck it'll improve it a bit - however I've not seen one with a clean enough waveform yet so I cannot really give a "this will fix it" answer - maybe is the best I can manage :).

None are good options - no comsumer should have to live with this sort of manufacturer created problem.

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts