Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
743 Posts
Sounds to me like the decoder is dead, probably killed by a short circuit between the motor connections. First thing to do is to check all your wiring carefully. if you want help with that probably best to either upload a photo or describe it in detail. Best to find out why this happened so that it doesn't happen again.

If the chip got very warm, it is almost certainly dead.

Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
743 Posts
QUOTE (Matt1984 @ 26 Feb 2008, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the only wires i could have got mixed up with, is the motor ones. would this have blown the decoder?

No, they can be placed either way round.

Are any of the wires shorting with the chassis? Are are your joins insulated?

Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
743 Posts
If you are sure all the wires are in the correct place and are insulated from each other then the chances are that the decoder was faulty, there is a hidden short that you can't see (you can check this with a continuity test using a multimeter) or the motor was drawing more power than the decoder could handle. Unlikely with a new loco, but not impossible.

Hope I'm not confusing you here!

Rob
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top