Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my grandson yesterday for a couple of hours over to the WCML near Shap Wells & he loved the 185's. Now he has asked for one for his model railway but i cannot find one on any website. Now i realise that no one makes a RTR model & wondered if their was a kit he could maybe build or does anyone know if any of the companys plan to build one in the near future.

thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think they're a bit too new for anyone to have done a kit yet and a bit too region specific for a RTR model in the future. Bachmann did announce a class 170 in transpennine but then chickened out as the livery was too complex (or that was their excuse anyway although it didn't stop them doing the FGW class 166!!!)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think they are region specific as the new Hornby Javelin the 185's can be seen from Manchester to Edinburgh & most of northern england the javelin is just on a single route. I often wonder how big companys decide on what model to build & do the paying customers ever have a say hopefully the big companys will spash out on a 185 as they are a really nice locomotive.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ah but the Javelin is region specific to the right region (ie hornbys backyard)

I agree it'd be nice to see a couple of the more plentiful (none voyager) new gen DMU's such as the 185's (especially as I keep seeing them in and around Leeds) but as with most stuff there'll probably be other releases taking priority.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (alberta @ 1 Jan 2009, 17:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont think they are region specific as the new Hornby Javelin

Very true, but just think about the marketing possibilities for the Olympics & who knows what other companies may order them ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 1 Jan 2009, 15:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann did announce a class 170 in transpennine but then chickened out as the livery was too complex
They could announce the model in 2009 (er, for 2012 delivery...)
mal

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I agree the 185 would be a good model to produce. With classes 142, 150, 153, 156, 158 already available or announced it opens up a whole range of non-electrified settings in Northern England.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts