Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building a control panel for my 1980's era model railway and need some 'digital' style numbers and letters to make some headcodes, 1M23, 2T36 etc etc to replicate those shown on a real signallers panel. I can't find any as yet. Any ideas??
Thanks

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***For on the panel? I take it you want the codes to be changeable? You will need an x character 7 segment display (x being the max number of digits you want to display). This will also need a driver circuit to work..... and should also probably have a mount bezel to make it easy to fit to the panel.

What is the target size and colour. If you give more info I may be able to point you to some usable items

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***arghhh - I should have read the title.

You can get a "digital font" and type your own with any word processing software, print them/cut out/laminate etc....

here is an example

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, yes just need figures/numbers to add realism, not going for changeable codes just yet! Couldn't open attachment, just a blank page.

·
Diesel Drinker
1,538 Posts
Hi, a good idea is to use printer decal paper to make your own waterslide transfers. I used some Laser printer paper from this company.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/

Try to avoid the inkjet printer paper as you have to spray a matt varnish to fix the ink, I tried 4 types of varnish, without any sucess.
If you dont have access to a Laser Printer, try your local library, or stationary shop.

I make a whole A4 sheet at a time using MS Publisher, you could even use MS Word or any of the free publishing packages.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I used inkjet paper from them...excellent service, but some years ago...

I simply fixed teh decals using matt spray-on varnish.....or was it matt medieum?

I forget..

Used to produce a specially lettered white transit van for my son.......of the then-new BT world logos...scaled from the website of the company that produced the real thing!

they had nice diagrams of the various vehicles BT used, and how the 'World' logo was applied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts