Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
Just moved to Australia from the USA and my Lionel Trains need help. The POWERMAX transformer is USA standard
and I really do not think it is a great Idea to use a converter or even an other transform to drop down from 220 to 110 because I think the cycles per second or Hertz might be a problem. 60 vs 50 hz.

HELP

Point is what do we do in Australia to run our Lionel trains?

THANKS

and HI to ALL

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Lionel Larry @ 26 Apr 2008, 17:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi-
Just moved to Australia from the USA and my Lionel Trains need help. The POWERMAX transformer is USA standard
and I really do not think it is a great Idea to use a converter or even an other transform to drop down from 220 to 110 because I think the cycles per second or Hertz might be a problem. 60 vs 50 hz.

HELP

Point is what do we do in Australia to run our Lionel trains?

THANKS

and HI to ALL

Hello Larry

Just buy the 240:110 converter - or a 240: correct Lionel voltage transformer.

The mains frequency will not be an issue.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Larry

Welcome to MRF - I think you are probably the only Lionel operator here. However what prompts this post is that I spent most of Saturday and Sunday at a small exhibition watching Lionel products going round. Not a common sight in the UK.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 28 Apr 2008, 15:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not a common sight in the UK.

Regards

Unfortunatly, the sound was monotonous all day Saturday - the chuffs did not appear to have any relationship to wheel revolutions or throttle openings !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Brian,
Been there, got the 'T' shirt on this one.
Ok, your correct in thinking that the hertz or power frequency is to blame.
The Lionel Powermax ( funny name considering its small 30W output) transformer is very similar to Lionel CW-80 (80W output) transformer. I understand the electronics are basicly the same.

The whistle and bell button circuits malfuntion on 50Hz power, leading to locomotives whistle and bell (if fitted) sounding in a continuous fashion. I don't recomend connecting one of these transformers to a 50Hz supply. They are designed for 60Hz operation only. You can get all sorts of overheating problems and cooling fan failure on the CW-80 if its used on a 50Hz supply.

Note: If you have a locomotive or roiling stock fitted with Lionel Trainsounds this also contains electronics that malfuntion on 50Hz with similar symptoms.

The solution to these problems is to use a high amp 230V AC to 12v DC power supply powering a
12V DC to 120V AC 60Hz pure sine inverter. For a 300W set up this will cost you about £100.

This has the added advantage that Lionel TMCC (command control) will operate correctly.

A large number of the Lionel Collectors Club UK use this set up to good effect.
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/lccuk

Regards
Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got some new information from Lionel's chief technical officer.
2009 model CW-80 and PowerMax 40W transformers have been revised to be 50Hz compatible.
Lionel Legacy command control is also confirmed as 50Hz compatible as are all 2008 model Legacy equiped locomotives.

Regards
Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts