Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of "re-building" a Tri-ang L1 - cutting off the molded hand rails, steam pipes, buffers etc etc and replacing, also adding lamp irons, steps etc.

I've obtained a brass Westinghouse brake but can't see the detail of pipe work and how the pump is fitted to the loco, on the couple of photos I have to hand. Why did every take only "front 3/4" photos of locos?!!

Has anyone a copy of Model Rail Enthusiast SEP 1994 which had a feature on the Southern Railway L1 Locos which perhaps they could copy for me?

many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The two small photos in my 1962 'abc' book seem to indicate that the pump is fitted to the right-hand side of the footplate just forward of the leading driving wheel. There appears to be one pipe with a flexible connection from the top of the pump running back to the cab a little below the handrail - I assume this is the air pipe. There is no indication of a steam pipe, so this may run from a control valve in the cab below the footplate to connect with the steam cylinder at the bottom of the pump.

Sorry I have no more info.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John

Many thanks for looking and reply.

My photos are probably a bit like yours, a bit small and difficult to see the detail - I think the Westinghouse pump is fitted to a vertical steel plate, possibly bolted to the frames. There looks to be two/three(?) small pipes running along the boiler from the cab, but........

I've had a look around the Internet, but again difficult to see any detail in the photos because of the low res scans.

Apparently there was an article on the L1 Class 4-4-0 in Model Railway News for Jan 1961, if anyone has very old back issues perhaps they could check the detail.

Regards

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts