Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the brushes on I believe X67 motor.

Since then the train runs slow any ideas, She has a smoke box attached.

Flooded it with WD40 to clear any debris etc.

Oldtrain

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you make sure that all the WD40 was thoroughly cleaned off everything before fitting the new brushes? Any traces left on contact surfaces like the wheel treads, pick-ups and the commutator will affect performance drastically.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I flooded the motor after installing the brushes.

After seeing that the new brushes reduced performance.

Flooding did not help other than a nice bath for the engine.

Possibly not a good idea, WD40 is still an oil and oil and carbon brushes do not go together. It softens the carbon which clogs the commutator slots. I suggest that you remove the brushes and clean the commutator and brushes with a switch cleaning fluid (or liquid lighter fuel) WARNING FLAMMABLE! and reassemble.

David Y

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (oldtrain @ 21 Feb 2009, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just replaced the brushes on I believe X67 motor.

Since then the train runs slow any ideas, She has a smoke box attached.

Flooded it with WD40 to clear any debris etc.

Oldtrain

Probably did far more harm than good - after a while WD40 turns into a sticky gunk. Any form of oil will have contaminated the carbon on the brushes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Golden Rule on the old X series motors keep the com clean. I spent many an happy hour repairing these motors which if looked after are good and will last for ever

1. Give the commutator a good clean , ensure all the oil is off
2. Clean gently between the segments ( a small pin is preferable but gently)
3. Lastly a little trick... reduce the spring pressure as light as possible so it literally just touches ( reduces friction) I have seen many where the owners have bend these nearly straight to increase the pressure!

It will take some revs for the brushes to re bed in but if it was OK before you changes the brushes the clean and lighter pressure should cure all

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I dont know or suggest this as good info but I've used the airline at my local gas station to blow out the cobwebs of several pieces of my layout,engines included and the result was very pleasing,just observe the pressure at certain delicate areas of electronic components...PS I know the garage owner and she turns down the pressure if wanted.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (frame69 @ 22 Feb 2009, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont know or suggest this as good info but I've used the airline at my local gas station to blow out the cobwebs of several pieces of my layout,engines included and the result was very pleasing,just observe the pressure at certain delicate areas of electronic components...PS I know the garage owner and she turns down the pressure if wanted.

I know some of them now sell LPG but gas station ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts