Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have obtained an old Triang R751 Class 37 D6830 Diesel Locomotive. But it doesn't seem to like
my hornby R921 power controller (12v). It runs very slow and is really struggling to pass points.
I tried my other locos made by hornby with no problem at all. For example, I have a LMS Coronation
class 7P 4-6-2 Duchess of Sutherland and a B12 4-6-2 stream loco. Both of them run well with R921.
It happened I have borrowed a professional digital power supply (0-30V 2A output) from our electronic
department. I tested the loco with no problem. I set up the voltage to 12v and the D6830 runs very well.
The current was some 0.58A.

I really need some experts's help. Because I don't have any access to a Triang power controller, I have no
idea about their technical data. I was told they were on a 16v or 14v output rather than new standard of 12v.
Is this the cause of the fighting between my D6830 and R921? I read a story somewhere in the net
saying that some people changed the capacitator of their old Triang so they can use a newer Hornby power to
run their Triang trains. Is that true? If so, what is the type or volumn of the capacitator I am looking for to
replace the old one (which looks quite small but with no mark at all) in my D6830 .
Or if there is any other way of doing it.

I guess not only me with a Triang loco and a newer Hornby power have this problem. One of my friends has the
same problem of running his old Triang Princess class in a new Hornby R921 power controller. Hopefully
there are some experts can answer our questions and help us out. Many thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard, thank you very much indeed.
Happy New Year!
That's really really help.

In fact, I have done the procedures to almost all my locos.
The newer Hornby locos work much better. Espeically clearning the slots in the motor commutator
increased the performance of the Hornby locos significantly. My B12 runs madly now.

But sadly, the old Triang locos have not been enhanced for a great deal. They stull run slowly
like slugs. One thing I didn't make clear is that I only run one loco at a time. The old Triang locos
still do not like Hornby power R921 after thorough clearning. Removing the capacitator does not big difference
as well. I have measured the current. The D6830 loco consumes some 0.6A at 12V with a professional
power supply. The R921 claims it can supply up to 4VA. But the D6830 won't like it at all.
I guess there is something else in the loco needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David, thanks a lot for very prompt reply.

That does solve my myth. Both my old Triang locos consume more than 0.6 A current from reading
of the professional power supply. Yes, 4VA is printed on the front of the R921 power supply.
So I guess either I am going to stick on the pro power supply (although it is big and heavy) or
to search for a more powerful power supply such as an old Triang.

Happy New Year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.