Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James Day of The Train Collector Society in the form of a reply to a question at MRE magazine has provided a renovation guide for Triang track and it seems like a good idea to quote the reply in full here as a permanent reference for collectors and users of this track:-

QUOTE Tri-ang Series 3 Track (**Email of the Day**)

To answer Peter Anderson's point on Series 3, all of this track is now between 45 and 50 years old so to get the best out of it, some TLC is required.

Whenever I acquired any Series 3 or Super 4 it was soaked in soapy warm water and then scrubbed and rinsed, before being very thoroughly and carefully dried. An airing cupboard is ideal for this.

After this the rail heads were cleaned and in some cases this meant rubbing with a track rubber to remove any corrosion, which is a shame, as this also damages the 'bright coating' on the steel, but needs must.

After this the fishplates were 'tweaked' with pliers to ensure a tight purchase on adjoining pieces. In some cases the fishplate will have come loose from the rail it is supposed to be fixed to. On Series 3 and early Super 4 track, the fishplates were spot welded, but on later Super 4 the fishplate clipped into two slots on the end of the rail.

The latter type are easy to sort out, but care is needed removing and refitting the rail to the sleeper base. On the earlier type, remove the lose or damaged fishplate and clean the rail where it sits. If the fishplate can't be tweaked back into shape, replace it and then carefully dot-punch it onto the rail and slide that back in.

Once the rails are clean dried and repaired, wipe the contact surface with a rag carrying some WD40 or other contact oil and apply some to the fishplate and sometimes the rail ends. Then set aside to dry.

Once treated as described the rails will serve for years and years before any further TLC is required.

Some readers may remember the shots of the huge Super 4 loft layout that Mike Fowler used in his second Video/DVD The Survival of Tri-ang Hornby. That whole layout was made with track treated in the manner described in the late 1980s and the track had been cleaned just twice over the ten or so years before that film was made.

The layout still exists and the trains are often switched on after weeks of inactivity and run well right away! Despite the size of some of the runs (100 foot circuits) there were only two jumper cables on the whole layout! That said, Jumper Cables are a good way to reduce voltage drops that still occur and are particularly necessary to get over the voltage loss that is caused by points, which was never Tri-ang's best feature! Sadly the Series 3 points are particularly bad and, even with TLC, these are still going to cause some problems. One solution is to avoid switching at the points altogether and hard wire round them, using a supplementary switch in crucial places.

I wish Peter well with his project.

James Day

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I must admit I would never have thought about restoring sytem 3/4 track, although I have recovered a few pieces of series 1! I must admit I don't really know why, but it seemed a good idea at the time.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mint Super 4 and Series 3 track that is undamaged is getting very scarce. If you can find some that has undamaged sleepers although with rails and fishplates that are tarnished then it could definitely be economic to renovate. Series 3 track suffers from damaged connection clips and the sleepers can be fragile and Super 4 track more often than not has that half sleeper damaged at each end and broken fishplates where the track was brutally taken apart by the kids that used to play with it!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
44 Posts
The guy who does minic motorways on EBay has his Super 4 and road/rail track sections chemically treated, they look like new when he puts them on EBay, maybe it's worth giving him a mail.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts