Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my locos are Triang and are powered by , I assume, the X03 motor but I have to admit that I don't know the difference between this and the X04!!

Is it still possible to get spares for these motors and if so where. Any help appreciated.

Tiebar

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The X03 came before the X04, the latter was put into production in 1954 and went on for many years and many hundreds of thousands were made.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (tiebar @ 7 Aug 2008, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most of my locos are Triang and are powered by , I assume, the X03 motor but I have to admit that I don't know the difference between this and the X04!!

Is it still possible to get spares for these motors and if so where. Any help appreciated.

Tiebar

Thanks for your comments and help ,Poliss and John Webb....had a look and much interested in the websites you mentioned.

Main difference between the two motors looks to be the addition of felt lub. pads on the X04. They are excellent wee motors.

Tiebar

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The difference is the worm - XO4's have brass worms, X03s have plastic ones. The dissappearing flet pads were more a cost saving exercise than any variant in the motor.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The worm of the XO3 in the link I gave is clearly brass. The felt pads came in with the XO4 motor, they didn't disappear.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The X03 was the first version of the motor which could be put in and taken out of the chassis without having to dismantle the chassis - made testing and replacement easier. (There's quite a bit about the motors in Pat Hammond's "History of Rovex, Volume 1 1950-1965.)

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The X03 featured on the 81B service sheet is a second version with a single-start worm to give a greater reduction than the X04 had - so yes, there was the X03 with two-start worm, the X04 with two-start worm and then the X03 with single-start worm.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It does appear that there were several variants of the X.03 and X04 motors. The X.04 did not necessarily supecede the X.03 in all cases. Maybe the choice of motor and worm wheel material were model specific. Perhaps there were versions of both motors with brass or nylon worms.
I see the X.04 is also called the Mk.IV motor. http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/servi...asp?sheetid=189
More research is needed I think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (tiebar @ 7 Aug 2008, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most of my locos are Triang and are powered by , I assume, the X03 motor but I have to admit that I don't know the difference between this and the X04!!

Tiebar

Thank you to all for replies. The "Model-net.co.uk " people are reorganising and hope to re-stock in the near future.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen reference to a 5 pole armature for the X03 / X04 : quite an improvement in performance but perhaps I'm just dreaming.

Tiebar

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (tiebar @ 7 Aug 2008, 21:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most of my locos are Triang and are powered by , I assume, the X03 motor but I have to admit that I don't know the difference between this and the X04!!

Tiebar

Thank you to all for replies. The "Model-net.co.uk " people are reorganising and hope to re-stock in the near future.

I am sure that somewhere I have seen reference to a 5 pole armature for the X03 / X04 : quite an improvement in performance but perhaps I'm just dreaming.

Tiebar
Airfix (MRRC) and others did make 5 pole motors that were a direct replacement for the 3 pole X.04 type motors.

These are now only available on the used, or old stock market…

Some more info on Tri-ang and early Hornby Railways open frame motors here….

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
...I am sure that somewhere I have seen reference to a 5 pole armature for the X03 / X04 : quite an improvement in performance but perhaps I'm just dreaming...
A five pole armature and single start worm was the way to make this old open frame design deliver a better performance.

In addition to retrofit armatures, both Romford and MRRC produced five pole clones of the XO4, and Airfix GMR had a Chinese manufactured version of the MRRC design (thus a 'clone of a clone') in their N2. I still have a couple of the Airfix GMR motors, and a Romford 'Bulldog' running well on the layout.

But modern can motors on multistage gear trains are better by a country mile: quieter, smaller current draw, more torque. Your choice, but I wouldn't fiddle around upgrading old motors, instead spend the cash on moving to the new and much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts