Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have two of the motor bogies which I want to run in one shell. The problem is that each one runs in a different direction. How do I change the polarity of one of them to get them to run in the same direction?

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (SquiddlyDiddly @ 1 Jan 2008, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

I have two of the motor bogies which I want to run in one shell. The problem is that each one runs in a different direction. How do I change the polarity of one of them to get them to run in the same direction?

Thanks Andy
Andy, all you have to do is change the motor leads to one of the motors, this may mean unsoldering the leads and resoldering back on in reverse. Some motors have one side shorted out to the frames and need to be turned through 180 and the lead changed to the other terminal.

hope this helps

mike g

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (SquiddlyDiddly @ 1 Jan 2008, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

Thanks Andy
Andy, all you have to do is change the motor leads to one of the motors, this may mean unsoldering the leads and resoldering back on in reverse. Some motors have one side shorted out to the frames and need to be turned through 180 and the lead changed to the other terminal.

hope this helps

mike g

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

Wrong type of motor I am afraid.

These are the old Triang motors with a 3 pole asrmature and a worm at each end to drive the wheels. A housing holds the magnets around the armature and the brush spring sits on the top of the plastic housing. I have got the Triang Service sheet which shows the motor assembly and both motors appear to be identically set up. It is almost as though it is the magnets that need reversing. I haven't tried that yet.

Andy

QUOTE (mikeg @ 1 Jan 2008, 15:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Andy, all you have to do is change the motor leads to one of the motors, this may mean unsoldering the leads and resoldering back on in reverse. Some motors have one side shorted out to the frames and need to be turned through 180 and the lead changed to the other terminal.

hope this helps

mike g

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Don't be in a hurry to take out a magnet - they don't like being removed unless you have a large chunk of iron alongside - a small carpentry plane blade is quite good. If they are removed without such a 'magnetic shunt' the magnet will lose much of its magnetism.

You do need to change the connections somehow on one of them as they were designed to be be fitted only one at a time to a loco, an unpowered bogie being at the other end. As I recall the collector strips come up from the wheels and directly connect to the brush on that side. If you can insulate the brush from the strip and connect it across to the opposite strip that should do the job.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Turning the magnet round will do it without changing the wiring .But care must be taken and i would take it out as one lump armiture as well and turn that leaving the magnet between the two bars but mark one side so you know whitch way round it was and refit it left side to right side

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will try this and let you know. Now I think of it, this must be the solution.

Andy

QUOTE (Teleman @ 1 Jan 2008, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Turning the magnet round will do it without changing the wiring .But care must be taken and i would take it out as one lump armiture as well and turn that leaving the magnet between the two bars but mark one side so you know whitch way round it was and refit it left side to right side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts