Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This statement has been released as part of Maerklins repositioning of the Trix brand.

Trix H0 is being repositioned!
Trix H0 New Items Preview for 2008

"As representatives of the specialty dealers, you have known the following for a long time: In the most
popular model railroad scale, H0 1:87, worlds often collide with one another - on the one side the faction
with the alternating current system - on the other side the faction represented by fans of direct current
systems. Both groups of consumers have a different approach to their hobby and different expectations
about model railroad products: While the alternating current consumer, i.e. the typical Märklin buyer,
values models constructed of metal and often wants full compatibility with older track layouts, the direct
current H0 model railroader, i.e. your potential Trix customer, strives by contrast for the highest possible
level of prototypical accuracy, uncompromising translation of the prototype into the model in 1:87 -
particularly in the scale for the length, and he wants the freedom of choice for a locomotive's digital
features. Silky smooth running characteristics and a smooth coasting effect in analog operation are also
important for him.

Trix H0 is therefore being repositioned. In the future, the assortment will have many more models
specially developed for the requirements of direct current customers.

The ÖBB class 1012 high performance electric locomotive and the Dutch/Swiss Ram TEE powered rail
car train in 2007 are the prelude to this new series. In 2008, it will continue with great strides and many
very interesting models.

At the same time we have adjusted our brand's look, we have also given our customers an exclusive
preview of the first of these extraordinary Trix new items for 2008 at the Model Railroad Meet in
Göppingen and the model railroad shows in Bern, Leipzig, Vienna, Friedrichshafen, Stuttgart, and
Munich.

All of the models feature five-pole DC motors with skewed armatures and a flywheel. A 21-pin digital
connector offers the option of connections to the digital world. Many separately applied parts and an
uncompromising scale translation of the prototype into the model, headlights with warm white LED's, and
detailed fittings even inside the locomotive are additional features on these models that have been
specially developed for DC model railroaders.

It seem that they wish to differentiate Trix from Maerklin as being more than just a DC version of the Maerklin loco. From reading the above I m not sure if they are aiming at a Brawa type niche or something else. Sounds interesting.

They have also announced the release of an S 3/6 in K.Bay livery or Epoch II DRG black.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 25 Dec 2007, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any Minitrix news?
You read my mind! Although I don't think Minitrix needs to be repositioned though...unless more into Austrian prototype hehe.

This is I suppose good news for Trix as long as people get more of what they want. However if they diverge the models for Trix H0 and Maerklin and so increase their manufacturing/design costs then the models will get more expensive, or production must move further Eastward? I am looking forward to the new catalogue for 2008, especially if it can give any hints for N scale...an ÖBB class 1012 would make me shout aloud in glee!

·
Registered
421 Posts
They are also changing their Distributor in the UK which will make life more difficult for me as i use the present distributor to obtain stocks of certain items only. I refuse to open yet more new accounts which overcomplicate the whole process for a small retailer. I am irritated by the number of times that i have had to search for replacement suppliers for a variety of products over the past few years. It doesn't help us to help our customers. I suspect the 'Big Boys' find this less of a problem, but I have completely lost access to some small scale manufacturers where I only needed to tack on a few items to a list of non-related modelling goods from a previous distributor. I cannot afford to order £200 worth of goods just to obtain the £10 worth I actually need.

David Y

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE This is I suppose good news for Trix as long as people get more of what they want. However if they diverge the models for Trix H0 and Maerklin and so increase their manufacturing/design costs then the models will get more expensive, or production must move further Eastward?

May I suggest that the Maerklin brand is merely returning to core business and by allowing Trix the freedom to pursue the more prototypically correct market is, at least, a very sensible move? Maerklinists do not want to use plastic bodied locomotives moreover their older track system preclude longer coaches etc. both restrictions which will features of the future Trix range. I further suggest that much of the plastic based Trix range will be outsourced as a necessity to cut costs, if only to keep both brands viable, again, another factor in the equation. Thus the metal based Maerklin range will stay in Germany and allow the company to rightly claim that it is truly domestic product.

I have never considered Trix and Maerklin as easy bed fellows, now this announcement confirms this, I wish both, the very best in this very competitive market.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Overall it is good that they have recognised that the two products serve different markets. I had noticed a big emphasis in Trix literature that the coaches were scale length. Obviously this has become an issue.

It said that the Insider loco for HO and Z was the Senator however I think this will just be for Maerklin. It did not say for N but I beleive there was vote on this and it was advised in the last Profi club magazine. A blue V200 or something similar, can't exactly remember now. The 1 gauge model was a 103.

No mention of N so I suppose it's business as usual.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Dinwiddy @ 26 Dec 2007, 00:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are also changing their Distributor in the UK which will make life more difficult for me as i use the present distributor to obtain stocks of certain items only. I refuse to open yet more new accounts which overcomplicate the whole process for a small retailer. I am irritated by the number of times that i have had to search for replacement suppliers for a variety of products over the past few years. It doesn't help us to help our customers. I suspect the 'Big Boys' find this less of a problem, but I have completely lost access to some small scale manufacturers where I only needed to tack on a few items to a list of non-related modelling goods from a previous distributor. I cannot afford to order £200 worth of goods just to obtain the £10 worth I actually need.

David Y

David - I know exactly how you feel.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 26 Dec 2007, 06:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Overall it is good that they have recognised that the two products serve different markets. I had noticed a big emphasis in Trix literature that the coaches were scale length. Obviously this has become an issue.

Something I've suspected for some time, so the announcement confirms it. It may surprise some, but not those who understand how the german market works.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE It may surprise some, but not those who understand how the german market works. Which is, I suspect, not that many.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE 72C: May I suggest that the Maerklin brand is merely returning to core business and by allowing Trix the freedom to pursue the more prototypically correct market is, at least, a very sensible move? Maerklinists do not want to use plastic bodied locomotives moreover their older track system preclude longer coaches etc. both restrictions which will features of the future Trix range. I further suggest that much of the plastic based Trix range will be outsourced as a necessity to cut costs, if only to keep both brands viable, again, another factor in the equation. Thus the metal based Maerklin range will stay in Germany and allow the company to rightly claim that it is truly domestic product.

That makes a lot of sense to me, especially the bit about outsourcing the plastic bodied stuff.

David

·
Registered
436 Posts
Trix haven't been part of the Maerklin group for all that long have they?
Before that what was their position in the market?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quite some time since Maerklin took over TRIX Modelleisenbahn GmbH & Co. KG in 1997.

The Trix company had been under financed for quite some time and had sought alignments with Willy Ade*, Rivarossi, Rüco and finally Fleischmann before falling to the Goppingen giant.

Tim

*Finally became Roco.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Brian,

Yes, but try and remember early Rowa/Trix/Roco items such as the rake of exKPEV coaches and the T3. I think that the coaches are still in the Roco catalog or if not, they were until recently.

The only really true Roco-only loco was the BR58 but what a fabulous model to make a debut? That one model forced all the other manufacturers to raise their game and since that model there has not been another model that has had the same effect to the industry.

Unless someone has a better idea?

Tim

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for that info' Tim.

Thinking back to the mid 70's when I bought my first Flesichmann Locomotives, I think it was the first Rowa coaches & wagons that I bought that sent me "over the water". Firstly, it was the true close coupling & then the fact that you could buy lighting units that illuminated the coaches evenly. Then, when Roco brought out the BR218 series (was that a retooled Rowa ?) with eight wheel drive/pick up (I still have one somewhere) for a RRP of around £12.50 that was it.

I also remember when I got my BR58 - I spent ages just looking at it in the box before taking it out !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts