Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Mid 80's I think and not cheap then,If I remember correctly between £30 to £40 each

Quality was very high

Liliput also made a set as good as these

Not sure of the route of these but possible Istanbul -Ankara (Asia section).
I wonder if Baykal can throw any light on this

All the best,

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
To be honest David,checked everywhere but could not find any conclusive evidence.

Not a single photograph exists/nor that I am aware of.

Its a pity,the Orient Express with its history and all that, archives seems to be empty in this respect.

All I know is that some ended up in Sirkeci/Istanbul station (and still is) european side.

A picture of the station in those days:

The main route was London-Istanbul, however from the map below seems it went all the way to the middle east:

another useful site I look at is : http://www.seat61.com/OrientExpress.htm#didnt%20know

good history.

We had a discussion on what type of locos used to pull the express in our forum and it seems the locos were interchanged in all countries it passed thru.

Below is a picture of a stranded Orient express, 60 km's to Istanbul.

Can anyone figure what type of loco it is?

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Thanks Goedel,

The sites a treasure.

Baykal

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Neil,

I´m currently at my girlfriend´s, it´s 36 degrees centigrade, the charcoals in the barbecue grill are heating (as are a couple of Bratwursts on top of it), and officially, I´m browsing the web for some porcelain cats by Rosina Wachtmeister as a gift for her...

...but at home, I have a nice book on the Orient Express which I promise to check for answers to all your questions tonight :) The length of the Trix coaches is scale afaik from the top of my head, and iirc, they were rather expensive because they feature interior lighting and even small lamps on the table of the dining cars that were illuminated, although I´m not really sure on that (I must admit).

The locos were indeed interchanged; typical German locos included the class 18.3 (Badonian class IVh), available from Bachmann-Liliput, class 18.4-6 (Bavarian S3/6), available from Roco, Liliput(Vienna), Rivarossi(Italy), and Trix (which lacks the detail of the others imho), and the class 03 (available from Fleischmann). Another typical German engine for the Orient Express would have been the class 17 (Prussian S10) variants, as available from Roco or Fleischmann (€€€€€ - sigh...). All this info concerns the past-WW1-years; I´ll try to obtain more info for earlier years later...

my food is ready, I have to get back to the garden barbecue.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Folks,

Found my book on the Orient Express by Antony Burton
I Found a section,that states when Kemal Ataturk moved the Capital to Ankara,Wagons Lits still wanted to Serve the Turkish Capital,But The Orient Express terminated in Istanbul (Europe).
So in 1923 a new train started from Haydarpasa station on the eastern side of the Bosphorus to the new capital.
This had the grand name of Anatolian Express,which looking at the photo in front of me dated 1930,has the coaches offered by trix.
The only thing I cannot find is when the trix coaches where last used on the Orient Express

The stranded Loco seems to have a SNCF roundal on the smoke box door
I did'nt think French loco's went all the way to
Turkey

All the best,

David

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 9 Jun 2007, 14:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The stranded Loco seems to have a SNCF roundal on the smoke box door
I did'nt think French loco's went all the way to
Turkey

This is what I thought. If they changed locos at every border...SNCF 60km from Istanbul = unlikely! Unless it is an exported French loco or maybe a German S 10 export?

Goedel

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Peter,

Sirkeci station is still very active and receives every year the now the so called Orient express ( very touristic ) .

The one on the Asian Side is also very active and called Haydarpascha.

As for the train stranded in the snow, can it be Bulgarian SNCF?

Baykal

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Got the photo from a different angle
It seems to be a headlight

According to the book a powerful Austrian 4-6-0 was put on the train at Vienna,as this loco had six large coupled wheels
It was though it could shoulder its way through the worst of the weather.
Looks as though this is the loco in the picture

All the best,

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 10 Jun 2007, 02:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peter,

Sirkeci station is still very active and receives every year the now the so called Orient express ( very touristic ) .

The one on the Asian Side is also very active and called Haydarpascha.

As for the train stranded in the snow, can it be Bulgarian SNCF?

Baykal

I remember both these stations well from my early twenties when I went Interrailing down to Turkey. Very nice they are too. I liked the location of Haydarpascha as it right on the Bosphorous and you arrive there by ferry. Wasn't Haydarpascha designed or built by the Germans?

QUOTE The length of the Trix coaches is scale afaik from the top of my head, and iirc, they were rather expensive because they feature interior lighting and even small lamps on the table of the dining cars that were illuminated, although I´m not really sure on that (I must admit).

It did say they had interior lighting. I'd really like a set of these but I'm not sure about buying thirty year old coaches. They really do look fantastic though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Neil,

Haydarpascha was built by the German architects Otto Ritter and Helmuth Cuno. Its inauguration took place on 19 August 1908. Is still one of the finest examples of a large terminus.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 11 Jun 2007, 02:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil,

Haydarpascha was built by the German architects Otto Ritter and Helmuth Cuno. Its inauguration took place on 19 August 1908. Is still one of the finest examples of a large terminus.

Cheers
Baykal
Couldn't agree with you more, Baykal. It is a stunning station building.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts