Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** I am often slightly disappointed in small issues related to liliput but had a customer drop in with some newly released Rivarossi coaches - I have not enough awareness to comment about overall accuracy in dimension or paint colour but I do have to say that build and overall "refinement" were exceptional.

I was pleasantly surprised at the extremely high quality and very seriously impressed with them.... I would rate the coaches I saw in fineness, finish and completeness of detail above any I have seen other than Brawa.

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Yes Neil - and they were excellent.

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Neil, we have a set of current issue HR CIWL coaches are they are simply stunning - when running on SL they are one of the most popular sets.

You won't be dissapointed with them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello,
this morning my local model shop had both the HR OE and the Trix OE coaches in stock, so I had a good look at them both. I've never seen the Brawa coaches, but both the HR and Trix coaches look good and have a good build quality to them. I'm tempted to go for the HR set myself, as the Trix(I think) is more era 2; still I could be tempted with both!

Regards
Clive

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Kauri @ 18 Mar 2009, 02:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Has anyone got this set from Trix? How does it stand up to the likes of Brawra coaches?

I have an earlier set from Trix - they have the LED table lamps & no decoder/socket so the lights are on all the time.

These have tinplate sides making them very heavy - anyone know if the later ones tinplate or plastic ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 9 May 2009, 22:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to the info on the Hornby International website the Riva coaches are Epoch II as well. I had thought the Trix ones were Epoch I.

Neil,
I think you are right. Trix advertise them as Era 1 models, although I remember reading somewhere they continued until around 1928 until the fire risk became too great.
The HR ones would probably be suitable for era 2 as well as era 3, but then again they are still being used today. (Chanel advert etc)

regards
Clive

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Clive,

As a "simple" rule of thumb if the entrance doors windows are oval then they are pre WW II, the rectangular door windows are post WW II.

There is lots of debate on other forums concerning whether the colour is correct.

Personally I don't care but as these "luxury" trains really ran on limited routes, they are not suitable for my layout so have not done a lot of research into them other than in a very general sense to prove they were unlikely to have run in the region I am modelling.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Epoche II, Paris-Carlsbad-Express, a component of the Orient express, DRG 18 442 (Bayerische S3/6) ex Liliput Wien model, CIWL-baggage and Dining Car Stuttgart - Prag and wooden CIWL Sleeping cars from Paris, Calais und Oostende, passing Schnabelwaid, Bavaria Germany, 1927 (Ernst Koeditz)
As per the Trix set.

Photograph sourced from the Wagonslits Homepage Forum.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 10 May 2009, 09:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Clive,

As a "simple" rule of thumb if the entrance doors windows are oval then they are pre WW II, the rectangular door windows are post WW II.

There is lots of debate on other forums concerning whether the colour is correct.

Personally I don't care but as these "luxury" trains really ran on limited routes, they are not suitable for my layout so have not done a lot of research into them other than in a very general sense to prove they were unlikely to have run in the region I am modelling.

Cheers

John

Interesting information, thanks John.

When I was making up the CIWL set for SL I had at least three variations of the colours and/or roof's & it never really looked the part. Thanks to Simon K at Hornby we now have a complete set of the Hornby Rivarossi ones, all matching & they really are excellent, well detailed coaches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts