Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Trix Rheingold set looks really good in the photos but has anybody seen one in the flesh? Before ordering I want to be sure its top quality and not a horror.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I have a set (an earlier issue about six years old) & have the following comments (based on my version - the later one may have changes).

1) The tables lamps are in fact yellow LED's - not a patch when compared to the lighting in the current Hornby Pullmans).
2) The sides are actual tinplate - if you get a set examine them very, very carefully for paint defects, some did have problems.
3) Because of the tinplate these coaches are very, very heavy & take some pulling.
4) When not in use be very careful of hoe you store them because of the tinplate.
5) The tail lamps on the baggage car (which should be marshalled immediatly behind the locomotive in any case) are a little oversize & crude.

Having said that, otherwise they are very nice coaches & look superb in the right setting.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have a feeling this set may be a new tooling. The Trix website says;

Model: Era II. The cars are highly detailed models with raised lettering, separately applied grab irons, and interior details in different colors. There are retracted diaphragms with crossover plates folded up for the end cars in the set. The table lamps and the marker lights work and can be controlled digitally by installing a function decoder in the baggage car. The 66719 interior lighting kit (1 per car) can be installed in the cars. The cars have NEM coupler pockets with a guide mechanism for close couplers. Total length over the buffers: 1,306.6 mm / 51-7/16".

Does that sound the same as your Brian?

I have a set of thse on order and I have just noticed that they are available so I should be able to comment better when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Guys,

This is a new set and is plastic not tinplate.

I have only seen the Marklin set and it is really stunning.

There was no power on the layout so cant comment on the table lamps.

In my view it is a much better set than the original tinplate one.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
305 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 13 Feb 2009, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys,

This is a new set and is plastic not tinplate.

I have only seen the Marklin set and it is really stunning.

There was no power on the layout so cant comment on the table lamps.

In my view it is a much better set than the original tinplate one.

Cheers

John

Looks like its a must buy then. I also noticed on the www.trixshop.de website that its now available. Best buy quickly before it turns to a red traffic light!

Found this review with photograph including a side by side comparison of the earlier tinplate version.

http://stummi.foren-city.de/topic,29697,-r...-3-drg-m-b.html

and here

http://stummi.foren-city.de/topic,33111,-t...onwagenset.html

One other thing, are they scale length? (1:87)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Simon,

I think that they are scale length. Marklin are saying that the totla train length is 130.66 cm and the original coaches were 23.5 meter long and the baggage car was 19.68 meters long. so give or take a 1mm in total length it comes out pretty close.

If you are keen on the train, also have a look at the "Matching" Brawa baggage car for it as well.

It is imortant (well in my view anyway) that it is put together in the right order. The coaches themselves ran in pairs, a first and a second with a kitchen between the two coaches. You should have something like 2nd with kitchen, first, first with kitchen, 2nd. It should not be first, first with kitch, 2nd, 2nd with kitchen.

Cheers

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks Neil & John for that information - looks like mine will be regarded as an earlier version then !

Once the new one is out I'll have to check out the lighting.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 14 Feb 2009, 08:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like its a must buy then. I also noticed on the www.trixshop.de website that its now available. Best buy quickly before it turns to a red traffic light!

One other thing, are they scale length? (1:87)
Probably best to Simon. These things sell out pretty quickly and once they're gone they're gone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 14 Feb 2009, 21:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably best to Simon. These things sell out pretty quickly and once they're gone they're gone.

I was thinking the same, called a local Trix dealer yesterday and he said they had no news of it and that the had to go through an importer that slowed things down. He also seemed to think Trix was on its last legs and was less informed as us.

Price on the Trix site is €299.95 + 19.95 postage and available now. I may call Modellbahn Kramm tomorrow and see if they actually have it in stock (240 euro)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Beautiful set of coaches.

I note the couplings carry power between the coaches,
so will the coaches have to be coupled up in a certain order, so that the connections power through all the coaches to give flicker free lighting in anologue?
This systems was employed in the Lima swiss TEE Rae and gives excellent running qualities.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi David, I think the Trix ICE3 also had this system of connection. It was a six pin plug which also doubled as the coach connector.

Hi Simon

I ordered mine from Modelbahn Kramm and am paying 201 Euro, although I get the VAT off it because I'm currently outside Europe.

cheers

Neil

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 16 Feb 2009, 11:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If our experience is anything to go by you would be better off to order from one of the German stores.

Rather than the trixshop site?

thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi folks , being the newbie here, does someone have modelbahn kramms details? web address or details if their shop - ie, where is it? has anyone visitied it? and whats it like etc - any info wud be useful! (and - are they one of the better priced places to buy fleischmann, minitrix, marklin and roco for example?) - thanks once again!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
This link should get you to the English version of their website. Add it your favourites once you're there. A google for "modellbahn Kramm" usually turns them up at the top of the results.

I have ordered stuff from them in the past and I've no complaints. Pricing is keen and it's worth keeping an eye on their specials. I did check their pricing on that starter set you bought at the weekend and I think you got a very good deal!

David

1 - 20 of 68 Posts