Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know those moment when you are trying to buy something and no matter how hard you try the retailer just dosent seem interested in taking your money??

This morning i ran out of LNER transfers ans so i logged onto the HMRS website to get some more.

The sales secretary cannot be contacted by any means other than snail mail! the order form (that you have to print out and send to him) asks for credit card number, expiry date, security code and signature! if that letter went missing he has evrything he needs (the fire alarm has just gone off in my office!!) dosent that constitute credit card fraud?

I am now desperatly trying to Get a message to him through other members to bring along some to the warly show.

Its all very well being a small manufacturer but really, this is the 21st century. this isnt just a hobby for mee, its a good part of my income. i am trying to be a professional.

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
CC details are a minefield.

The trader does require all these details to avoid "chargebacks" from the credit card company. We used to take CC's & we would always obtain these details by telephone & keep them (if the customer wanted us to) on a card index, kept in the safe - no details on the computer at all. We would only pack the sales slip with the item if the customer wanted us to.

With todays post & the amount that goes missing there is no way sending all these details is safe - seems a strange way of doing business.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Nov 2007, 10:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You know those moment when you are trying to buy something and no matter how hard you try the retailer just dosent seem interested in taking your money??

Interestingly enough I had a similar problem a few years ago, I ended up giving up on that particular trader (who also appeared to have a problem answering the phone as well) and eventually sourced the parts I wanted elsewhere. Madness!

Regards

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To send credit card details through the post is extremely insecure and I would never buy from a trader that had those conditions. Bank transfer, especially with the new 'pinsentry' system, is much more secure. Retailers can also join the 'verified by visa' scheme.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Living overseas I find it difficult when all they will take is a cheque or postal order.
M-S-I-M are in that category:
http://www.m-s-i-m.co.uk/order_details.htm
I just have to shop elsewhere.

I have just noticed the address! Don't tell me Ferndown is in the west country!! They do know about the net down that way?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its really frustrating sometimes, however there is a trend in most hobby's that the older, possibly better established retailers who want to sell online don't want the stress of retailing online and therefore use these type of order forms of a rather badly thought out extension of their telephone orders.

I'm also getting a bit more dubious of telephone ordering.

Only last week I was in a model shop, the owner was out the back getting something from stock and the phone rang, one of the "regulars" who was standing by the till answered the phone and took the order for a reserved item, no details were exchanged apart from the name.

Its in small hobby communities that things like this are likely to happen. Next time you ring a shop for a hobby purchase, unless you know the retailer by voice, how can you guarantee that its actually them you are talking to?

I know I've gone off topic here and sorry for the thread drift!

Alex

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I still keep my UK bank accounts open as I intend to return home at some point and still have cheque books and so on. This helps me get round some of those difficulties. I recently got a renewal notice for CM from PECO and they wanted all my credit card details including the three digit number on the back written on the form and returned by m ail. I did this as I figured it was easiest and my Australian bank will usually phone me if anything unusual comes up on my bill. This did happen this year when someone in Cambridge run through 1 pound, this was obviously a tester to see if they would get away with it. I then had to change my card. The German dealer that I regularly use, Modelbahn Kramm, have all my details on file so I just email them what I want which saves having to resubmit my credit card details over and over again. With Rails and Hattons I think I have tmy details on file too and just log in when I'm ordering. One good thing is that many dealers will question when goods are not being sent to the address on the credit card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts