Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two dcc controllers on e bay. They were described as R955 controllers and bought them in good faith. I have no reason to suspect them but I need to identify them and work out how they are connected to the loco. They have three wires, red, black and green. They are made in singapore and have R955 printed on the back. They have two chips (1cm by 0.5 cm) both with 'MCR106-2 and M109' written on them.

I can't seem to download images but will attempt to get access to this aspect of the forum (administrator heeelp)

Any ideas from you very bright people in the forum

·
Registered
334 Posts
According to my Pat Hammond book R955 was a loco module for Zero 1. And cannot really be described as DCC although I understand it might work with a ZTC DCC system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (Bilbo @ 19 Apr 2008, 12:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to my Pat Hammond book R955 was a loco module for Zero 1. And cannot really be described as DCC although I understand it might work with a ZTC DCC system.

Being a learner in this field, I am unsure what ZTC means. Will the controller work with the Hornby elite which is my controller. I could of course try to connect it and see if I can programme it but without a circuit diagram or data sheet, I am a bit lost (though trained in electronics, I rely still on data sheets and circuit diagrams as the basic info needed)

Thanks for your reply and any info is useful to build up a picture about these items.

Basil

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I am unsure what ZTC means.

You can learn more about ZTC Controls on the "About us" page of their website using this link

From this you can reliably infer that only DCC control systems designed by ZTC are compatible with the Hornby Zero 1 system, so if those are Zero 1 modules, they are not going to work with your Hornby Elite.

David

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seems like I bought a 'pig in a poke' and won't be able to use these unless I buy a ZCT controller . but life is a learning experience.

I may do a little more tinkering and may invest in a hexadecimal keypad and take out those old notes on programming or maybe I'll just get on to e bay and resell them.

I have a number of locos to fit with dcc R8215 chips and get working on setting up the locos I collect and fix working on my layout (which is in the box awaiting a spare room). I have my repair sheds (the drawers of my workshop) to act as my interest.

If I get any more info I will post it here at the forum

many thanks

Basil

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Basil @ 19 Apr 2008, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seems like I bought a 'pig in a poke' and won't be able to use these unless I buy a ZCT controller . but life is a learning experience.

I may do a little more tinkering and may invest in a hexadecimal keypad and take out those old notes on programming or maybe I'll just get on to e bay and resell them.

I have a number of locos to fit with dcc R8215 chips and get working on setting up the locos I collect and fix working on my layout (which is in the box awaiting a spare room). I have my repair sheds (the drawers of my workshop) to act as my interest.

If I get any more info I will post it here at the forum

many thanks

Basil

Wikipedia has some info on it and here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Command_Control

It gives a good intro also into the development of DCC. It is worth getting into the nitty gritty of the dcc and it may be possible to use the Z1 chips in a creative way. Watch this space (but it may take a while)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I may be interested in buying these Zero 1 chips from you.

In my loft I have an old H&M 5000 digital controller, which was kind of a luxury version of Zero 1.

Are they still boxed, and more importantly, do they have a blue capitor with them (a light blue blob with 2 metal legs ).

Thanks
Ashley

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 22 Apr 2008, 13:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I may be interested in buying these Zero 1 chips from you.

In my loft I have an old H&M 5000 digital controller, which was kind of a luxury version of Zero 1.

Are they still boxed, and more importantly, do they have a blue capitor with them (a light blue blob with 2 metal legs ).

Thanks
Ashley

Yes, you would be welcome. and you can have them at cost plus postage.

They are unboxed but still have the heatshrink/wrap on them. They both have the blue capacitor and appear in good condition although I have no way of testing them They have been used but I am assured they are in working order. If not, I would refund you and pass this on via e bay to the original seller.

I am using the hornby chips and collecting enough to enable my locos (ever growing as I repair and collect others). My latest is to exclusively chase Bachmann bits on the web (mostly e bay).

How do we go about this ? I could put them on e bay or............... Can we enable e mail replies or some such as I would think selling would be a private matter (form of contract etc)

Basil

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (Basil @ 25 Apr 2008, 19:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, you would be welcome. and you can have them at cost plus postage.

They are unboxed but still have the heatshrink/wrap on them. They both have the blue capacitor and appear in good condition although I have no way of testing them They have been used but I am assured they are in working order. If not, I would refund you and pass this on via e bay to the original seller.

I am using the hornby chips and collecting enough to enable my locos (ever growing as I repair and collect others). My latest is to exclusively chase Bachmann bits on the web (mostly e bay).

How do we go about this ? I could put them on e bay or............... Can we enable e mail replies or some such as I would think selling would be a private matter (form of contract etc)

Basil

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I have not been on the forum for a few days. I'm going to try and send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks
Ashley

·
Registered
189 Posts
Circuit component Automotive lighting Electronic component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Here's a photo of them there controllers (and I will have to take a couple of close ups if necessary (on request) as this is a dowload and a small file)

For Ashley (and others)

Are these meant to have 3 or 4 wires and is it possible to get some more info, a link etc

regards

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts