Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to play with a Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoder the other day. I fitted it, as a trial, to a Hornby Princess Coronation just to see if it could be done. It went in fairly well but I had to make a few alterations to the tender to make it fit like tossing the weight, removing the bunker slope sheet and sides but I got it and 44x28mm speaker into the tender with the speaker firing down through holes cut in the tender floor. I weighted the tender with liquid lead but with the original weight removed there was nothing to clip the tender shell to. The Tsunami is an excellent decoder with brilliant sound but it is a tad difficult to program as you need a PTB, Programming track booster, to have sufficient voltage to program the beast. As I didn't have one I had to do all my programming on the main. While the sound is excellent the lack of whistles of an "English" type is a bit of a shortcoming as is the 3 and 4 cylinder beat of many English locos if you use the auto chuff feature which only has two cylinder and articulated chuff selections. If you use the cam feature to control the chuff rate by means of an axle or wheel mounted cam, I use Grizzily Mountain Engineering axle mounted cams, then 3 and 4 cylinder exhaust beats are possible. Overall I think the sound of the Tsunami has the Loksound beat but the Loksound has much better motor control. If I can find a whistle in the range that matches somewhat an English loco whistle I may fit an exhaust cam to say a 3cylinder loco and see how it performs. I have since removed the decoder from the Princess Coronation and fitted it to a more appropriate loco, a Chesapeake and Ohio K3A Heavy mikado fitted with chuff cam and it sounds brilliant.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
827 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 19 Aug 2006, 15:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Tsunami is an excellent decoder with brilliant sound but it is a tad difficult to program as you need a PTB, Programming track booster, to have sufficient voltage to program the beast. Ozzie21

<blatant plug>
Or buy a SPROG, no need for a programming booster.
</blatant plug>

But then I'm biased ;-)

Andrew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts