Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Hornby Duke of Gloucester Dcc ready. I understand that some years ago Hornby were selling Duke of Gloucester fitted with tts sound. My question is what Hornby tts decoder did they use was it Brittania class if not what one was used and what one is available now to purchase and fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although I cannot hep re the decoder used it wouldn't have been a Brit as these were 2 cylinder machines and DoG was the only BR standard with 3 cylinders, unless you count the BR rebuilds of the Bulleid Pacifics! Built supposedly to replace 'Princess Anne' lost in the Harrow crash, although the LMR hadn't really needed it.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Quite frankly the Duke of Glos being a 3 cyl loco sounded more like a 4 cylinder version in the Hornby TTS version, I have one. so dunno what that really was, in the end I stopped using the TTS sound in fact I got fed up with sound generally and it should not sound like a Gresley 3 cyl pacific either as these sounded like 4 cyl locos with a beat missing due to the drift in the conjugated valve gear which was basically a poor system as it wore out (awfully quickly) so I wouldn't much bother but the rebuilt Merchant Navy sound may be close as these came from Bullied who was a right hand man of Gresley but as per Peppercorn they neither had any interest in the conjugated valve gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts