Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Hiya,

Ive just started to work on my new layout, Its 0-14 and the entire thing is in an area of 1'6" x 3'. Its been designed to be for exhibition and is called Tumbledown wharf.................... Thats why ive been quiet on the work front recently........................ Ive been doing all the drawings for it..... If people would like to see, i can always post up some of my drawings so you can all get an idea of what im upto...... Just started making all the track and have already carved and cast all the wharf walls......

Would anyone be interested in seeing the drawings on here...... before i scan them all in and post them up!

we are just making the box at the moment that the layout resides in!

Nikki

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Nikki,Im currently building my harbour so it would be good to see what you are doing
cheers,Frame in sunny Padstow!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Nikki, Yes I would like to see your drawings, It would give me an idea as to what you are up to

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Nikki,

It sounds very interesting ..... i would like to see the drawings

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I take it you are modelling at 7mm scale with a 14mm track gauge to represent a 2ft gauge prototype? Sounds a bit different; like the others I'd be interested in seeing some drawings.

Regards,
John

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well here goes, hope you all think its a good idea,

It is a 0-14 layout compacted into a small case specifically to go to exhibitions....... that what i designed it for.
I have been making all the moulds up recently for the buildings and walls. I hand carve them all from plaster
then make moulds in silicon before casting in Fastcast resin. makes life easier and allows for a much better finish.

This is the overhead veiw - only a quick sketch.......

This is what the veiwer will see when they are looking at the layout front on.

And here are a few of the building designs that i have scanned in - i have drawn them all now just not got round to scanning them yet....!!

These will all be available to buy as kits in the near future, i am producing kits as i produce the parts for my layout.

Already i have produced the dock walls and the kits for them. i will post more details of that in the next few days.

Hope you all like these drawings and think the idea i have is ok. Just making the track now, that of course doesnt fit any normal
stuff either and has to be made as well.........

Nikki

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I live in and old harbour town,I'd like to see some pics when you get something layed down.Looks interesting

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definatly be keeping it updated as its already been booked for a show later this year ............................. Also im documenting it for magazines as well as i go along. I have already been asked if i can do a writeup on each building as i make them with detailed construction details. So plenty of piccys too !!!

Nikki

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wow those drawings are superb mate. Are you a draughtsman by any chance!!. The idea looks great keep up the good work and updates.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Nikki,

Superb drawings
it adds to the work but if you can keep a pictorial record of progress on the buildings and the overall layout the magazines would be interested i'm sure ......, one question what are you planning to use for the water as a friend is experimenting with a product that works out far cheaper .

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hiya, more updates for you all,

PART 1 - The Wharf Mouldings.

firstly i have made up the wharf walling now and cast all the parts i need. For this i start with my drawing and make a wooden sided box the right size
then i fill this with dental plaster and let it dry off. I start carving this whilst it is still slightly damp. this stops it cracking or flaking as you carve it.

So i end up with originals which i glue to a board.
The Wharf Wall Section.......

The Post Section.............

Then i add a box of plastic around the original which i then fill with silicon and leave for 24 hours.

Then i start casting the parts with a fast cast resin. This is a light but very strong material.

So here is the finished articles glued together and painted.....

Also i have turned these into a kit for other people that will be avilable within the next few weeks..

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PART 2 - Making tracks.....

Whilst i was waiting for the silicon to dry etc i decided to start making track.

So using KB Scale Sleepers and plans i started to make sections of straight track.

Then i decided to start on a set of points, as the set i picked to start with was in the triangle i marked out the entire triangle section of track
by cutting out the template sheets from KB scale and then placing and moving them untill i had a clean and neat junction. At this point i found
i was only 5mm out on my original sketch.

Then as this whole section will be tramway and covered in hand carved cobbles i decided to use wooden sleepers with a wider foot.
Making the point up took about two hours and i still have to fit the Point blades. at the moment it is tacked down to the plan with a single blob
of bostick glue as i can just detach it when i need to.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PART 3 - some rolling stock..........

I also had purchased a couple of wagon kits from KB Scale and so sat and made these up the other night.

These were some of the best kits i have ever assembled , they were neat fitted perfectly and very well designed.

I will be purchasing a couple more very soon, whilst i decide exactly what locomotives i want to use..............................

Hope you all like my work.

Nikki

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Absolutely superb work Nikki. You certainly have an artistic flair; those drawings are excellent and the patience you have to hand carve individual stones for the retaining wall just leaves me in awe.

Look forward to seeing your further progress.

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts

David

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Great stuff going on there Nikki,interesting build to follow!
The harbour walls look spot on.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 25 Feb 2009, 12:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hope you all like my work.

Nikki

Absolutely it is quite superb!!!!!

Kind regards

Paul

1 - 20 of 112 Posts