Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise several posts have been made on the subject of turntables but could anyone tell me how to wire this arrangement and would a Digitrax AR1 automatic reverse controller be siutable and cover control of reverse polarity for the mainline in track and four lines offf which will lead to a shed i do know it is made for one reverse block but can it be used in this application ..... a diagram to illustrate it would help for the wiring .
This is the set up i am planning .......

turntable wiring

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Upnick
You need to isolate the turntable from all track outlets , power to the turntable is via your ar1
Like Neil shows in his diagram on this post (post 8)
Turntable Wiring

there is a post on the hornby site where somebody uses the AR1 for turntable wiring

Re: R8238 - DCC Reverse Loop Module

By Misteslaus

Tue 18 Dec 2007 21:15

I use a DIGITRAX AR-1 (MSRP US $29.99) unit which is pretty simple. You can manually (via a screw) change the sensitivity. It works off the track power and will work with any DCC system. I use mine on a turntable and it works great. You should be able to set it to trip faster than your command unit. I must say I like the way the Hornby unit looks. I like mine and it was a great price, but it can be fun to look at another system altogether. The easiest way to add automatic reversing to a section of your layout.

Looking at the manual for the AR1 it should do the job OK

Hope this helps
Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 11 Aug 2008, 04:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Upnick
You need to isolate the turntable from all track outlets , power to the turntable is via your ar1
Like Neil shows in his diagram on this post (post 8)
Turntable Wiring

Looking at the manual for the AR1 it should do the job OK

Hope this helps
Regards Zmil

Hi Zmil,

Thank you for the information so the AR1 is suitable for a turntable being fed via the main bus then,

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 11 Aug 2008, 11:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nick
I should Have said -Power to the turntable Track (the bit that turns) is from the AR1
Just to clarify

The AR1 - A and B terminals to the main bus

Regards Zmil

Thanks for the clarification Zmil

The turntable i have chosen is the Atlas one with the geneva movement locking on at every stall i have a choice of 21 positions, only downside is the motor could be quieter though

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do i need a booster to use the AR1 or will the powercab handle the units needs.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 13 Aug 2008, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Upnick
You should be OK with just the powercab
depending on how many loco's you have running
The turntable motor you can power off another power supply
Regards Zmil

Hi Zmil,
Thank you answers my concerns .......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts