Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been surfing through the Road Line Forums website and came across a "Tutorial Topic", where over a protracted period of time various members have written a "tutorial" on a specific modelling job for the benefit of all members.
Although I found this archive a very interesting read, it is almost exclusively USA layouts in content, so for our UK and European members is of limited relevance.

It occurs to me that we have had many very good posts written on a "how to" theme over the months in MRF, from some very talented members. There also seems to be a much wider spread of gauges and outlines in MRF, so perhaps it would be a good idea to collect an archive of such material on MRF and invite contributions to it from our members.
It could be a good collection of easily accessed help to members and visitors alike and much easier than trying to search through endless past topics for information.

What do you think? Do you fancy having a go? Is this feasible Doug/Denis?

Comments/sugestions please.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I am all in favour of this one.....I feel sure that we all have something to offer to at least one other member, and after all there is normally more than one way to solve a modelling problem.

Regards

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would like a place to gather information and collective knowledge; the most likely way to do this is via a wiki. In other interest groups that I'm involved, wikis have been very effectively used for pooling collective knowledge.

If we had a wiki, tutorials are one major topic to cover. Also I've been trying hard to research layout geometries - I've found it very difficult. For example, try Googling to find the radius of the four types of Peco point (00 gauge is my particular interest). I didn't do very well but at least I found the thread on this forum. So there's a start. We could collect together advice for layout design, based on the geometries of the points that are available to purchase and on the rules of thumb people use (e.g. min. radius 24" or whatever).

For comparison, dccwiki.org tries to gather collective knowledge about DCC. This is laudable, but I think the aspiration should be broader and cover other model railway topics.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>wikis
Sounds good to me.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've looked a Wiki software. Good stuff, but it could get out of control. If someone disagrees with another, there would be chaos.

How we put reviews and articles together is a very simple process. Basically a simple HTML page is included into the forum structure.

If you wish to contribute an article, send it to me by email ([email protected]) in basic HTML together with images. If you can't do HTML, then a simple Word document is fine. Don't make the layout too complicated.

The challenge will be to get a good structure together that is logical and perhaps searchable. I'll work on that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug, I was thinking about the excellent thread running over the last few months about cardboard modelling on Barchester. A lot of good stuff posted by Bob on this one, but also a lot of replies complimenting the author etc.

How difficult would it be for you (because only a moderator has the necessary access) to pull out the "Tutorial" bits on a thread to make a start ?

Just thought this one might make a good kick off point!!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE How difficult would it be for you (because only a moderator has the necessary access) to pull out the "Tutorial" bits on a thread to make a start

Thats a good point as there is a fair bit of information on some of the threads which could be collated into a tutorial. E.g. Dynamites loft layout and the cardboard modelling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts