Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my name is Mike Drummond 51 years old yesterday and a MS sufferer some of you guys at some point will stuggle with my posting ie my inane droolings and moronic ways show up from time to time my spelling grammar is some what missing my biggest prblem is when posting all of it is done on one breath so if dont like my posting polite rquest dont reply then know gets hurt.mike

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Dont panic Mike,I dont think anyone on here is going to take any notice of bad grammer or mistakes I know I wont
Concerning our pm's Im probably no better than you with this photo posting technology,my girlfriend sorted mine out after I "threw all my toys out of my pram" .The guys on here did explain how to get pics but I still could'nt sort it out,but I hope my messages helped,good luck and happy 'railwaying'..Frame in sunny Cornwall

PS happy birthday,Im 40 in a few weeks time

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Hi Mike, Welcome to the forum. Happy Birthday for yesterday.

I'm intrigued about posting in one breath. Do you need special equipment to enter data into the computer ?

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Mike and a belated Happy Birthday.

So sorry to hear of your illness but don't worry about the grammatical or spelling accuracy of your postings. As long as we can make sense of them it will be no problem.

Had a look at your MS Website link and found it facinating, I have known several MS sufferers over the years and have always been impressed by their determination to be as self-reliant as possible. The link to the Sky News article on Vitamin D was also very interesting. I will be getting a supply of Vitamin D capsules today.

Good luck with the modelling and keep us posted of your progress.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Mike hi and welcome to MRF.

No need to worry about spelling....the chaps are tolerating me and thats more than enough.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Mike,

Don't worry about your spelling, this is, after all a Model Railway Forum & not a English Speakers Grammer & Spelling Debating Group !

My spelling often lets me down, but the main thing here is to communicate with each other.

I seem to recall someone being on here a couple of years ago who complained about some of the spelling and/or grammer but I think that in the end he found that he could in fact get out more.

We all look forward to seeing your contributions - if you do get any untoward comments then just contact one of the excellent moderators here & they will soon sort any problems.

Enjoy the forum & ask away with any questions.

Happy birthday for yesterday.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
hiya,
a good freind of mine has ms and he spent about 5 years teaching himself to walk properly again without loads of help we are amased by his determination and drive. It doesnt matter if your spelling / writing is bad just hope you enjoy the forum and find it a helpful and supportive place!!!!

All the best

Nikki

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Mike and a warm welcome to MRF.

As one who will will be 51 in 3 months a belated happy birthday for yesterday.

Don't worry about spelling and grammar - as long as the meaning's clear you'll get the answers you want.

Regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Memory, thinking, cognition and MS
Not everyone who has MS will experience problems with memory and thinking but mild difficulties are common. For example, many people with MS can find it harder to recall information, follow conversations or think things through. These are examples of cognitive skills - and there are many ways to cope if you are having problems.

What is cognition?
Cognition is something that refers to memory and thinking. It describes the way we:
focus, maintain and divide attention
learn and remember new things
think, reason and solve problems
plan, carry out and monitor our own activities
understand and use language
recognise objects, assemble things together and judge distances.
These skills vary naturally in different people and we all have different strengths and weaknesses. However, cognitive powers are considered to be normal if our skills allow us to cope adequately with everyday life.

How might MS affect memory and thinking?
MS causes changes in parts of the brain and spinal cord and these can sometimes affect a person's memory and thinking. Thought processes rely on messages being passed along nerves to different areas of the brain and the lesions, that may arise as a result of MS, can stop or slow down these impulses. It has been found that cognitive problems are more common in individuals who have many lesions.

Whereas brain lesions can result in more permanent cognitive problems, a number of factors can interfere with or impair cognition temporarily. Other things that can affect concentration, memory and thinking include high alchohol consumption, poor nutrition and illnesses as well as medication that affects the central nervous system like tranquilisers, sleeping pills and painkillers.

Problems with cognition can be both temporary and permanent. Many people find that cognitive problems, like physical symptoms, seem to be worse when they are tired. When you are very tired it becomes difficult to concentrate or take in new information. However, when the fatigue is over, cognitive functions return to normal. Depression, anxiety and distress can cause similar problems - if you feel low or depressed, you may find your memory and concentration are not as good as usual. As mood improves, these difficulties should also improve. Further information on pain, managing relapses, fatigue, mood, depression and emotions as well as other titles can be found in the MS Society Essential series, available from the information team.

A number of people with MS also have to devote a great deal of thinking to how they will carry out physical activities. Most people don't have to think about how they walk or do other physical things - the body is usually on automatic pilot and the mind is free to think about other information. If you are giving more concentration to physical tasks than usual, then it can be hard sometimes to maintain concentration elsewhere.

A lifestyle change can also affect cognition. MS can cause people to stop participating in activities that kept them lively and stimulated. People may give up work or stop doing things around the house. They may become more laid back about dates and times.

How typical are cognitive problems in people with MS?
Not everyone with MS will experience cognitive difficulties. However 45 to 60 percent of people with MS do have some form of cognitive problems. For the majority of these people, the changes are mild to moderate rather than severe.

Cognitive changes can be worrying and even mild changes may require specific coping strategies. If cognitive symptoms are not recognised, people can often feel very frightened about what is happening to them. Having good accurate information about the problems is usually the best form of defence.

Other people may misinterpret the problem if they do not understand that this can be part of MS. They may get angry and frustrated as well as worried and afraid. Cognitive symptoms may create stress and pressure at work and at home. Some understanding of cognitive changes will usually make it a little easier to deal with the problems if they arise.
What kind of things can affect memory and thinking?
tiredness and fatigue
relapses
physical restrictions
depression, anxiety, stress etc
permanent brain lesions
lifestyle changes, drugs etc
What is the impact of problems with memory and thinking?
It can be frightening to feel that you do not have a grip on things that used to come more easily
People can feel that they are 'losing it' or going mad, or that they are becoming stupid
It can cause problems in relationships, with family life
There can be a major impact on employment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts