Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
yes seval of the Shinkansens use the duck bill front. including the max doudle decker.

on the subject of the spanish talgo i have a picture somewhere of one of the powercars after a rather unfortunate test run involving flames!

I still havent seen the electrotren model.

"TGV Sud Est:
Yes lima as well as all the coaches. and its pretty accurate.

TGV Reseau
I dont know about the mehano but the newer lima model is accurate. but it aint worth 180 nicker! (more like £100).

lima also did the postal sets and the duplex. the later models were pretty good but the earlier ones had poor mechanisms and were a bit plasticky.

The mehano Thalys is pretty accurate and looks great!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
ravenser,

The paint work on the mehano units is not quite as crisp as it was on the lima's.

i understand the power cars are actually slightly different moudlings. mehano do the 3 voltage duplex power car and lima did the 4 voltage version (or something like that)
the coaches are pretty much the same.
lima made the duplex coaches straight away whereas mehano had been promissing them for ages.

The mechs in both are very good.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
yes i have seen the mehano. they often have it at modelzone in camden. they dont have one at the momment but they do have the coach packs.

It looks great

"How close up have you seen these Peter?"
about 4 inches with my nose pressed up against the glass!! i have also seen one running around my old club layout. its just fine. (the newer ones anyway. they are on their second tooling. the mech in the old units is not good.)

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello neil. it went from being "Beatties" to "Modelzone" in the space of about 6 hours!
I walk past it on my way home.

I took some measurements of a TGV last night and compared it with the prototype and i have left the bloddy piece of paper at home!

aah well.
it will be monday now. sorry

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
OK i remembered it today!

The model was the older moulding of the PSE. it has been retooled since this.

I looked up the dimensions in my TGV handbook (i think its by Brian Perren)
The model is of the PSE set of which there were a staggering 110.5 sets built (i had no idea it was that many!)
The power cars
LOA 22.150m 1:87=254mm Model=252mm
Width 2.814m 1:87=32.3mm Model=32mm
Height 4.090m 1:87=47mm Model=32.5mm
Bogie wheel base 3m 1:87=34.4m Model=32.5
(NOTE the prototype has i understand been rebogied when it was refurbished to improve ride quality and give better damping).

Coach length 21.845mm 1:87=251 Model=249mm

So even the older model is very good. its a pity it was moulded in orange plasti9c and only the grey was painted on. it made the whole thing look a bit plastic like the fronts of the Lima UK range. but i am asuming that the newer models are properly painted.

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Ravenser. yes that must be a typo. unfortunatly i threw out the peice of paper with the figures on it the other day. i will try and borrow the model again. i remember thinking its riding slightly too high but it was perfectly reasonable. i think it was about 1.2mm or something like that.

I will check it again..

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.