Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
TGV in N gauge

The original TGV Sud-Est in orange was made by three people: Kato, Lima/Arnold and Bachmann. The only one worth having is the Kato version which is highly accurate and well made, although not up to the standards of the latest European models. Alas it has no flywheels but Kato did an expansion set so it can be full length at 10 cars.

Kato then did a TGV Sud-Est in new blue/grey but not the expansion set (but Wabu? did I think). I think Arnold did it also (but not as well) but the set only had four cars so one would have to buy an extra six individual cars to make it full length.

More recently Kato has done the Thalys with flyweel and also the Spanish Euromed and AVE TGV-clones (all 10 car sets). They look good but I haven't seen them close up (since I model Switzerland/Austria).

In 2007 Kato announced the TGV POS silver/blue 10 car (1071200) set which I'm sure will be great. (but again I won't see in CH or A!)

There are often TGVs on eBay.co.uk or .fr or .de (which is were I got mine).

Also the original Kato TGV has lots of space inside the driving/dummy trailers for DCC wiring if desired. (Good for adding flywheel simulation with a very fat capacitor...)

Goedel

·
Administrator
10,003 Posts
>i ment Holborn (it was a long day!).
That's where my H&M Duette was bought c1976. I'm still using it, only been repaired once.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
OK i remembered it today!

The model was the older moulding of the PSE. it has been retooled since this.

I looked up the dimensions in my TGV handbook (i think its by Brian Perren)
The model is of the PSE set of which there were a staggering 110.5 sets built (i had no idea it was that many!)
The power cars
LOA 22.150m 1:87=254mm Model=252mm
Width 2.814m 1:87=32.3mm Model=32mm
Height 4.090m 1:87=47mm Model=32.5mm
Bogie wheel base 3m 1:87=34.4m Model=32.5
(NOTE the prototype has i understand been rebogied when it was refurbished to improve ride quality and give better damping).

Coach length 21.845mm 1:87=251 Model=249mm

So even the older model is very good. its a pity it was moulded in orange plasti9c and only the grey was painted on. it made the whole thing look a bit plastic like the fronts of the Lima UK range. but i am asuming that the newer models are properly painted.

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Peter

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know in Neil is a member of the Bachamnn club but their latest club mag has an article on this very subject running to about 5 pages with some nice photo's. Pushing the mehano stuff but very little mention of it until the end.

Darren

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Jan 2007, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unfortunately I have no experience of the Fleischmann ICE's but their reputation would lead me to believe that they would be very good. Brian (DBClass 50 ) I think would know more as he has a lot of experience with Fleischmann. Ones he back from Egypt we can run this by him.

All of the FLM ICE's are excellent runners (even if they do use the older style mech). I am fortunate to have nearly every varient & type they produce/have produced including the experimental version, but alas do not have the Amtrak Liveried one.

The ICE-T looks great when tilting although the mechanism needs treating with respect as it's a tad delicate.

Definatly did not see anything high speed in Egypt that ran on rails !

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Pedro:

Looking at the TGV Sud Est measurements, one leaps out and hits me:

Height 4.090m 1:87=47mm Model=32.5mm

Is this a typo?

The bogies are a bit short in the wheelbase (2mm too short) but this is not a killer

If the finish is poor , then at least the livery is not too complex - much easier than many current UK liveries - and might well be within the capability of someone with an airbrush to redo

The retooled version should , obviously, be better still

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've just come across the following , which shows that the Lima version of the Thalys is available, at least in a 4 car pack, ref HL2001:

quai59 - French retailer

There is a decent blown up view of the front end. I have no idea what the "nouvelle moterisation" is - but lets hope it has more grunt than the ex Lima 73....

All I can make out about the retailer in question is that they seem to be from Douai and trade over the internet and at swapmeets in the region. Doug may know more about him as he seems to be in the same region.

The catalogue may be a resource for what is currently available for French outline HO , at least from one "detaillant"

And the Roco Corails are available too

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Very tasty..... I like the livery, it's both simple and attractive. I wonder who will bring this one out in model form?

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Ravenser. yes that must be a typo. unfortunatly i threw out the peice of paper with the figures on it the other day. i will try and borrow the model again. i remember thinking its riding slightly too high but it was perfectly reasonable. i think it was about 1.2mm or something like that.

I will check it again..

Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi to all.

In Spain we have 3 models of AVE and different manufacturers make them in H0 and N:

AVE 100 (The first high velocity in Spain. International gauge), AVE 101 Euromed (the same, but only works in the mediterranean corridor Barcelona-Alicante. This corridor have Spanish gauge and have dual traffic: Euromed and conventional):
*Jouef: The first model in the spanish market. I don't know the specifications of the model.
*Mehano: Make them in 2 qualities. The cheap , was sell in supermarkets. without lights, interiors, metallic pantographs and nem conector to fit a decoder. Good motorization. Runs so fine. The expensive one have full details and functional pantographs. The set have 2 locomotives (one dummy) and 2 coaches. also have 2 sets. One with two passenger coaches and other with a passenger coach and a restaurant one. The restaurant windows are from the french TGV, the AVE ones are differents. The motorization in the two versions are the same. More better than Jouef.

AVE 102 (El Pato - The Duck) Talgo 350
*Electrotren: Is the only one manufacturer who have permission from Patentes Talgo to make this model. Make it in the new livery (Renfe Operadora) and the old one (original white and blue of AVE trains). The old livery is in the actual catalog. At the moment, the new one is sold in weekly collectable from altaya into the "The Talgo Collection". Good finished in the two versions. At the moment, the extra coaches are only for the old livery.
*Kato: The duck in N gauge. Good finished. Kato sell the complete train in the set. No extra coaches.

AVE 103 Velaro (ICE 3). The Spanish and german versions have a little differences, but the models are the ICE 3 with Renfe Operadora livery.
*Märklin/Trix: To me, a little jewel but too expensive. Only digital versions with sound (i don't know if the name of the stations are spanish or german ones)
*Piko: Two versions (analogue and digital start set with IR DCC controlrer) godd finished and a good price. Hard to find at the moment.

Regards from Spain,
Oscar

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to have a Model Power TGV Sud-Est. Had pickups on only the lead bogie, all 4 wheels of the rear bogie had traction tyres. The powered loco used to bottom out on the peco points at the club.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE AVE 103 Velaro (ICE 3). The Spanish and german versions have a little differences, but the models are the ICE 3 with Renfe Operadora livery.
*Märklin/Trix: To me, a little jewel but too expensive. Only digital versions with sound (i don't know if the name of the stations are spanish or german ones)

The station names are Spanish and the announcements are in Spanish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 31 Jan 2007, 03:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's fast but it ain't pretty.

I think they are the best looking HST their is im looking forward to travelling to spain to ride on one of these im also after 1 for my layout as they are top of my wishlist. Has anyone got one of these & what are they like as a model & running etc i have never got any electrotren stuff as of yet but i have read that they are beautiful models

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Aug 2007, 13:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i thought they only had 2 and one of them was out of service because it cought fire. but i may be wrong.

At the moment, we have 16 Talgo 350 EMU (Duck for the friends
) in the Mdrid-Barcelona line, and 7 more on reserve.

Pedromorgan, you are not totally wrong. I think you talk about the Talgo 354 diesel locomotive.

Talgo 304 diesel locomotive

Regards from Spain,
Oscar

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.