Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that on allot of exhibition layout that they shunt without any visible means of uncoupling how's this done its as if they can uncouple at will?

Pete

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 30 Mar 2007, 07:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have noticed that on allot of exhibition layout that they shunt without any visible means of uncoupling how's this done its as if they can uncouple at will?

Pete
The answer partly depend on which scale you are modelling in.

Kadee and their clones (00) allow delayed uncoupling so you have a magnet (or electromagnet) at a strategic point (e.g. at the entry to a yard) which uncouples two wagons but allows them to be pushed without coupling again. When the wagon being uncoupled is in the desired place the rest of the train is backed away. Microtrains couplers are similar for N.

There are various kit and DIY solutions for various scales such as Alex Jackson (DIY), Dingham, B&B, DG. A google search should be fruitful with any of those terms and the manufacturers wedsites will explain better than I can.

DCC controlled uncoupling is also possible but it would be expensive to fit every item of rolling stock.

There's also the humble uncoupling ramp for Peco style and tension lock couplers. This is much more limited in scope since any attempt to propel the stock will cause it to couple up again.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I asked this question to a model railroader friend of mine who is trying to model as close as it gets to real life railways ,bit of a perfectionist, of what would be the best place to put my uncouplers, entrance of fiddle yard or what.

He said that if I had seen any uncouplers in real life railways and that all over the world uncoupling/coupling is done by man power. That he made a simple apparatus and that he uncouples his stock using it.

I guess thats a kind of method.

Baykal.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I spent some time looking into this, and in the end decided to stick with the hornby style couplings and use my self as the uncoupler. Basically I couldn't see a "perfect" system out there and don't fancy the hastle of changing all my stock unless its really worth it. Hopefully in the next few years the dcc uncouplers will increase in spec and value.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts