Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the model makers insist on selling underloaded car transporters? eg this Minitrix model below. On the prototype they always seem to have 16 cars per set with each car bumper to bumper rather than the eight on the model. It looks more aesthetically pleasing with 8 cars and certainly cheaper but is there another reason why the manufacturers always underload these car transporter models?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I think you answered your own question yourself - if you had a few more cars the cost would increase. If you want more cars just buy some Herpa or Wiking to make up the full load.

As you say, the "half" load does look better - another case of "what looks right in real life does not always look right on the model" perhaps ?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I would also point out that this load of MINIs is not prototypical. I see transporters full of MINIs on a regular basis on my way home from work on the Oxford ring road. It is very rare that any two of them are the same and I'm not talking about the colour. It is clear from the photo that all those MINIs have the same style wheels! Then there's window tinting, roof colour, exhaust pipe position, Clubmans, the list of variations is endless

David
(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Yes, they should be crammed in like sardines! Herpa do a pair of minis, one red and one blue for about £6 I think so at £3 per car it would be too expensive. The only alternative is to remove the minis and fill the wagons with a cheap older generic car model (i.e. a small blob of plastic) available in large quantities on ebay or from China.

How big is your budget?

Image: RailFanEurope

Do you intend to just have the car train traverse your layout without stopping or is a car factory a line side industry on the Simonbahn?
That could influence how big a concession you are prepared to make...

This is why I have instead a Rola train - you only need one truck for each wagon!

OR

Remove all the cars and model the train making the return journey empty?!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have one of these sets, the Mercedes McLaren SLR one, and it is probably not all that prototypical in that not many of these would be shipped this way. The Maybach set was probably even more surreal in that it had one car in a glass case on each wagon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Jan 2008, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have one of these sets, the Mercedes McLaren SLR one, and it is probably not all that prototypical in that not many of these would be shipped this way. The Maybach set was probably even more surreal in that it had one car in a glass case on each wagon.

Who did the SLR version?(Trix I guess) I think since it was released that they've only produced 1500 cars in total.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 27 Jan 2008, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who did the SLR version?(Trix I guess) I think since it was released that they've only produced 1500 cars in total.

Most of these sets are released by Herpa who generally have them produced to dealers advance orders. They are usually available in Trix or Marklin versions. Beautiful set, but very limited in what you can actually do with them on a working layout.

They can reach silly prices when no longer available. We did have one & it sold for far more than RRP on fleabay to the US (no surprise there really).

As Neil says, they are probably not shipped in this manner, although I did hear that one of the glass cased ones was shipped this way.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE As Neil says, they are probably not shipped in this manner,

I don't think MINIs leave the Cowley works like that either. I was at a meeting on the Oxford Science park today. It backs onto the Cowley works branchline. I happened to catch a glimpse of an EWS loco (I missed the class) hauling a long rake of blue covered wagons away from the plant. See attached photo for the wagon type

David
Train Sky Rolling stock Track Railway

Attachments

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I expect that they are transported in covered wagons in the UK to protect them from the cretins that think its fun to throw things at them or remove bit from them & sometimes fry themselves on the OHL equipment.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 28 Jan 2008, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who did the SLR version?(Trix I guess) I think since it was released that they've only produced 1500 cars in total.
As Brian said there were Maerklin and Trix versions sold under Herpa dn Trix?Maerklin code numbers.

I had a look at mine yesterday and shuffled the cars around to see how many more could be out on. You can only get two on each half of the wagon as with three they will be touching the car in front. So the amount supplied seems to be realistic.

QUOTE I expect that they are transported in covered wagons in the UK to protect them from the cretins that think its fun to throw things at them or remove bit from them & sometimes fry themselves on the OHL equipment.
sad but true.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was that the SLR version you tried as they are pretty large cars. Taking of big loads, has anybody seen in reallife or photos one of those Transformer wagons made by Minitrix?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 29 Jan 2008, 10:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was that the SLR version you tried as they are pretty large cars. Taking of big loads, has anybody seen in reallife or photos one of those Transformer wagons made by Minitrix?
Yes it was the SLR version but the wagons are the same. You could get three minis on fairly easily though

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 28 Jan 2008, 23:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Taking of big loads, has anybody seen in reallife or photos one of those Transformer wagons made by Minitrix?
Hmm, do you mean not-flattering photographs of the model or the actual wagons on the real railway? I know that RailFanEurope has pictures of a similar Austrian transfomer transport wagon so presumably in the bowels of the DB section under the U type wagon category?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 27 Jan 2008, 02:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why do the model makers insist on selling underloaded car transporters? eg this Minitrix model below.

Back in the dim and distant past Minitrix produced the 4 wheel car transporter, based, I believe, on converted coal wagons. the photographs I saw of the originals indicated that the four cars supplied were correct for the prototype.

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Jan 2008, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Maybach set was probably even more surreal in that it had one car in a glass case on each wagon.

I believe the Mercedes Maybachs were transported this way in plexiglass iso containers for a special launch in the US of A. I also seem to remember that they travelled on the QE2.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 30 Jan 2008, 00:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe the Mercedes Maybachs were transported this way in plexiglass iso containers for a special launch in the US of A. I also seem to remember that they travelled on the QE2.

Regards
It's amazing how the other half live. Even their cars have a more privilged life than we do.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 29 Jan 2008, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even their cars have a more privilged life than we do.

Which is actually worrying - how many people could actually afford a Maybach anyway?

Regards

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 31 Jan 2008, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which is actually worrying - how many people could actually afford a Maybach anyway?

Regards
Well, when I was in the showroom the other day...(
) I think they cost around the £400,000 mark, so people moving from a family sized house in London to a terrace in the Welsh valleys, people who own but don't waste their time running big companies and higher-tier drug dealers are the sort of people....an eclectic mix!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Here is your solution from Fleischmann Simon!

QUOTE Fleischmann 837401 and 837401

Sets of car transporter "Car Rail Logistics", type Hccrrss of the GySEV

The Model:
Whole train use is usual.

Based on:
The double-deck car transporter wagons of type Hccrrss are used by the Hungarian rail system GySEV and by "Car Rail Logistics". Just as on the real wagon, once the upper floor is loaded, the roof of this securable transport wagon is lowered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts