Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
There is always reference to up line and down line so what does this mean and which direction is the up line?

I was told that up is down and down is up relative to London and a map of the UK however was my leg being pulled?

ie Up is going towards london and Down is heading away from London.

And which side of a two track mainline is up (ie down)?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
not being a train expert..the London thing was what I was lead to believe too.

and had nothing to do with the angle one held one's map at!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
but then, whilst others may refer to 'going UP to London'.....I always viewed such travel as 'going DOWN to London.....a bit like 'being sent down?'

amazing, since being 'sent up' doesn't quite have the opposite meaning?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly. I always head down to London going South. But this is the Up line apparently!

And if I head up to Glasgow I am going down!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 30 Mar 2007, 10:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Exactly. I always head down to London going South. But this is the Up line apparently!

And if I head up to Glasgow I am going down!

Happy modelling
Gary

do you not also find, it takes less time to go DOWN to London, than it takes to get back up?

·
Registered
436 Posts
And those in the Southern Hemisphere wonder why up is facing north. Why not the other way round?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Gary,

This topic has recently been talked about at some length in the 'Prototype Information' forum under the heading of 'Up to Derby?' (Topic 2275 - sorry, I still haven't learnt the way to cross-link from one topic to another.)
In summary:
'Up to London' was taken over from stage-coach and other pre-railway usage.
Railways without a London terminus but with a provincial HQ (ie the Midland Railway in Derby) usually spoke of the 'Up' line being the one leading towards their HQ.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE This topic has recently been talked about at some length in the 'Prototype Information'

That prooves I do literally only visit the 5 or 6 discussion areas that interest me although I may very occasionally pop in elsewhere. Here is a link to the thread mentioned by John which should help to solve this mystery:-

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2275

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts