Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had 32 years with London Transport Executive/London Regional Transport/London Underground Ltd/Metronet Rail in Civil Engineering, Permanent Way, Railway Depot Health, Safety and Quality Assurance. My happiest times with the firm was 12 years at Upminster Depot at the east end of the District Line where I was the Depot Safety, Quality & Environmental Systems Co-ordinator.

This photo was taken in 1993 from the top of one of the depots two 150 feet high lighting towers, shortly after asbestos panel removal and we got a new roof.

Yes, I did almost s**t myself whilst taking that photo!!!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings)Very nice!!!

The man climbs a 150 foot tower to take a picture and you say
QUOTE (Jennings)Very nice!!!

Cant we do better than that?? its a bloddy fantastic picture!! Although it does remind me that the rolling stock i travel home on is very very very old now.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 12 Sep 2007, 06:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cant we do better than that??

OK then - here goes - it is a truly revealing shot of the track layout of the depot. Or, to put it another way it is absolutely superb.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 14 Sep 2007, 09:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like I might have to show some more photos of Upminster Depot!!!

I don't know about others but I'm always interested in seing this type of photo - it gives information you just can't get elsewhere

Regards

·
Registered
122 Posts
I well remember Upminster, because I was born just down the line and at Laindon and on the LT&SR as I know it even today. I can't call it C2C and never will.
When the LT&SR was going to be electrified, I imagined LUL trains coming along there, with a depot at Shoeburyness. Well I was only at school in those days.

I know for a fact, you would be welcome to join the forums http://ltandsrenthusiasts.myfreeforum.org or seeing as you now live in Stowmarket, http://eastanglianrailways.myfreeforum.org
In fact anybody can join them. There is already a link to here on there as far as I know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look, my comment was meant to be a positive one ... clearly it somewhere along the line got twisted so that it meant the opposite of what i intended. Might not bother in posting future comments if this is the repsonse i get

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Don't go chucking your toys from the pram, I am sure that no ill feeling was ment, just that not all of us are willing or able to go to such lenghts (or heights) to take pic's and then share them with fellow like minded people, your views are respected and needed, life would be dull if we all expressed ourselves the same way, I agree with you in 'very nice' Big words sometimes over complicate the gut feeling we all get. My fav saying is 'The [email protected]*ks' and that is all you need some times!!

Will get down now from my soap box and pour myself another beer for the bar before cranking up the Z machine

Brian

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,

It's me again with even more of LUL Upminster Depot:

Examination Shed from the buffer line with trains ready to depart for the pm rush hour service.

General view of the Examination Shed (left), Lifting Shop (centre) and part of the yard with one of the 150 feet high lighting towers (right).

D78 train undergoing its 14-day examination (train equivalent of an MoT)!

Now, what would you like to see on my next posting, Southend Pier Railway, or Singapore Mass Rapid Transit or Freightliners Ipswich Fuelling Point or a few pics from my Alaskan cruise in 2004?

Over to you guys to decide (no fighting, no tantrums and no 'handbags at dawn' please)!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Anything you choose Dave.......

Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.