Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

The popular cable show, DIY Network now includes a new series called "Workin on the Railroad." The show will include visits to elaborate model railroads across the country and discussions with the modelers who created them. In addition, each one of the five episodes includes master model railroader Ted Brown and guests demonstrate how to design and construct a layout, lay and wire track, create realistic landscapes and buildings and put together a freight-car kit.

For more information on this series, including show times, visit the DIY Network Web site.

Watch the shows online here (thanks Gary
)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Excellent.
I wondered if people are aware of this cable based, but also available on the net, American show...

'The Train Show' with Rich Einhorn - "All Aboard!" Makes me smile as a 'Brit.' But seriously it covers loads of different aspects of railway modelling in all sorts of scales in 1/2 hour programmes - free!

Take a look...

http://www.thetrainshow.com/

Best Wishes
Jules

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Wow! Nice find. This looks like a useful resource for Model Rail Forum. The first forum in Europe to offer its members a TV show to watch!

Ok its American but the ideas travel across the pond.

This is a better link as it take you to almost 10 hours of TV viewing!

http://www.thetrainshow.com/show_schedule.html

I'm rivetted!

Why don't we do it like this in Europe?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE I'm rivetted!
Any volunteers to count them?

It could be easier than counting Lego bricks!
I could get into Lego now . . .

Partway through the Rensellaer video, which is truly wonderful, it looks like I'm going to spend the entire weekend watching rail videos now - what a real(!) pleasure!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here I am, two and a half hours later and the joint is deserted!
What makes me think this might have something to do with people doing exactly what I have been doing - solidly watching those videos, transported with delight!

I'm going back to them now, but just popped in with a tip, that some people might not be aware of, for the Windows Media Player (WMP) and most other players. Good as the videos are, you can often enhance them a little by GENTLE use of WMP's video enhancement controls. A tiny lift for Brightness, Contrast and Saturation can brighten things up, though it is a purely personal taste thing. Try it and make your own judgement - it's like the sugar or the condiments, you don't have to use them, but they are there if you would like to!

·
Registered
375 Posts
OK folks, enough already. I am green with envy as with my dial-up connection I have no chance of enjoying these movies, unless I stop using the computer for several hours. Have just downloaded an hours worth for a delightful taster but can't give it anymore time I'm afraid. They sure do go for things in a big way over the water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
See I am good for some things!

Rich is great and I know what you mean about being into lego...or "lay-goh" as it is pronounced. Just being quirky!

Has anyone got to the tornado model yet as I thought that was just sheer over the top brilliance!!

I also enjoyed the 'instant' layout that Rich did with an oval and siding, a few 'rocks' and some scatter!!! It even prompted reaction from the boss - "well I don't reckon much of that!"

The huge 'Live' steam episode is also good, especially the bit about track repairs! I'll never complain about fishplates again.

The New York show was also interesting. Country walks collecting pine cones with the kids will take on a whole new meaning!

..oh and yes. I've seen them all at least once! And no, I don't get out much!

Take care all
Jules

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Dang, that fiddle and banjo is irritating. How can they listen to that all day.

Look forward to more of these. The last two seem to be better quality. Rich has bought a better handy cam.

Looking at the #20a. Does the equivalent of these big clubs exist in the UK where dispatchers (or Fat controllers) organize the drivers and signal men on complex operational layouts?

I have seen large club layouts in France, but I've never seen any complex organization of train-order-routing and operation.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I also enjoyed the 'instant' layout that Rich did with an oval and siding, a few 'rocks' and some scatter!!!

This was in the "Lay-Goh" episode. It was pretty amazing what you can do with a pepper shaker and a few rocks in just 10 minutes. It was all on black paper under the track so putting large black sheets of paper under your layout and working on that seems like a good tip if you want to create instant layouts by scattering buildings and everything everywhere.

And when its time to pack away you can just lift the paper up and put the scatter back in the pot! Don't say you don't pick up money saving tips at Model Rail Forum!

QUOTE Looking at the #20a. Does the equivalent of these big clubs exist in the UK where dispatchers (or Fat controllers) organize the drivers and signal men on complex operational layouts?

The short answer is No! Even at exhibitions it does not happen. Random trains just appear from the fiddle yard and dissapear back to the fiddle yard. I think the issue is one of space and the cost of real estate in the UK. To make something like the dispatcher operations interesting with several operators responsible for sections of track probably requires a very long circuit. The one in the TV programme was about 100m long wasn't it (or some considerable length)? That would take an HO scale loco running at scale speeds about 5 mins to cover! That would be real heaven!!!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen several layouts of that type belonging to local clubs where operating nights are just that. Let me tell you these guys take take their operations seriously. Not for the faint of heart. These guys use headsets, train orders and fast clocks to recreate a real operating session. Personally I would rather watch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a thought...

After just watching the 'Lay-goh' episode with the enormous and very impressive layout, and reading the posts above, I have come to a conclusion -

Am I the only one that thinks this show needs it's own section of forum for posting comments etc. as I don't know of anything comparable over the net that relates to our brilliant hobby?

I am completely blown away by the construction of the models as complete one off's in Lego (no more sarcasm, now!) and apparantly these poor people can't even buy the bricks in bulk on their own - they have to buy multitudes of kits! How tough is that!? And we think Bachmann, Graham Farish etc don't listen to us!!

If you haven't seen this episode - then don't smile quietly at the thought of Lego until you have!

Find the episode here...
http://www.circlerstudios.com/videos/tts_rfd22.wmv

Best Wishes,
Jules

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
So now that we have all watched 10 hours of free Model Rail TV how has it influenced our modelling?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its whatever rocks your boat.

I do admire those folk who say they have a passion for all scales and all gauges and all things worldwide. Its the big pockets I admire!

And I will admit to enjoying watching free to air TV programmes about model trains no matter which continent or gauge is featured. And I do take an interest in all aspects of the hobby on show at Warley and other shows as once you have paid your entrance fee it is all free.

But when it comes to spending money then its time to focus on what you are really passionate about and that normally involves something that you can relate to and get emotional about.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
With Xmas coming up and folk having plenty of time to watch things it might be worthwhile reviving this topic.

It was all free to view 2 years ago. There is now an annual membership fee of around $15 which gives you access to around 17 hours of model railway video (45p per hour) however there are also plenty of free videos to watch sponsored by various companies to offer a flavour of what is available.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts