Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dynamis and am looking to change over to using it to control the points instead of a bank of switches.

I've been looking round at the various accessory decoders, and the Lenz appears to be the best value so was going to use those, but then I checked the Dynamis manual and it refers to 4 outputs instead of 6 which the Lenz has.

My question is - can the Dynamis be used with an accessory decoder which has 6 outputs, or is it limited to just 4 outputs?

Thanks in advance

Raider

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Chris,

It should be able to operate any accessory decoder, it shouldn't matter if it's a 4way or 6way, your only going to select the address from either 1 to 4 or 1 to 6 (depending on what you set the address as in the first place)

I used the Lenz LS150 with a separate 3amp power supply which is the maximum you can put into it.
I found it would sometimes not throw the points.
The points took that much current it triggered the overload cut out in the LS150 so you have to turn the power on/off to reset it.

From past experience I now use accessory decoders that have built in CDU's that way the nice burst of current is enough to throw the points, plus you don't need a monster power supply, as the CDU only requires a small amount of current to 'charge' the capacitors.

Having just read the Dynamis manual it is a little confusing!

It shows that when you press mode to enter accessory mode the screen will show:-

ACC A001 :01/1:

It states this would be accessory address number one, decoder number one and output number 1 if using a 4 way decoder.

So in the example it says:-

ACC A067 :17/3

Which means accessory address 67 which is on accessory decoder number 17 output number 3

It does say that there is a limit of 100 addresses which would be 25 accessory decoders each with 4 outputs.

It doesn't really tell you how to program any accessory decoders though just to refer to the accessory decoders manual...the EZ accessory decoders at that.

I'm still sure any other type would work though.

If you used a 6 output accessory decoder then using address 67 as in the example above I would expect the display to read:-

ACC A067 :12/1

So accessory address 67 would be on accessory decoder number 12 output number 1 when using 6 output decoders.
If not then it seems like it may take a little working out unless you can actually change the default to a 6way output.

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Ian - I was looking purely on a 'price per point' basis, but what you say makes sense about the built in CDU.

Which accessory decoders do you use? I'm a bit off from needing to get the decoders at the moment, so still doing research.

Chris

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Chris,

I use the Team Digital SMD82, and also the Hornby decoders.
These all have built in CDU's.
The SMD82 is £56 for 8 outputs, but you can program it to operate routes, so by selecting one address you can have all 8 points fire in the direction you want them to go as well, quite a bit of kit.

Remember with these, they do cost more than the Lenz LS150, but then you are saving on a transformer.

The new Hornby accessory decoder R8247 is a 4way output, it has built in CDU and can be programmed using any mode, you can also program the length of the output pulse, sometimes just increasing the pulse length just a fraction can shift the point, too long and yes it will fry the point motor coils.
Nice feature as if you ever wanted, you do have the option to try a tortoise slow action motor.

Having operated points using DCC and the 'old fashioned' switches and mimic panel, I do prefer the old way.
Your not in control of the loco when juggling around remembering point addresses, and you still need some sort of display to tell you which way the point is set.
From what I know now I would only use DCC point control if I was going for PC control.
The new Veissmann Commander is the exception though as you can draw your layout on the built in screen, which basically is your mimic board, by touching the point on the screen gives a drop down box where you can select which way the point is set, this is then shown on the display.

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some useful information there Ian - as with everything DCC there seems to be lots of choice which can end up leaving a feeling of confusion - lol.

I will pay a visit to the local model shop and ask for their advice and see what the outcome is. It's sometimes easier to make a decision if you can talk face to face.

Again, many thanks for you replies.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts