Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
The PL12 does add a bit of resistance but you should be able to get it working. You have to make sure that everything is lined up nicely and probably need to lubricate the motor (and perhaps the point too).

You may find benefit in using the spring in the PL12 rather than in the point.

I find I have a lot less trouble with the PL10s on the top of the baseboard because they are easier to line up accurately!

As an example I have fitted a PL10 with a PL13 switch to a PL9 under the baseboard actuating a PL12 (with spring) above the baseboard to drive a point which still had its spring fitted via the extension bar. This lot all worked from straight regulated 12V DC. I think that is probably a worse case scenario (and I don't intend putting in a point that inaccessible again!). Your Hornby accessory decoder should be providing better drive than straight 12V DC.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I know you wrote this ten-odd years ago, but I chanced up on it tonight when setting up a peco surface-mount motor that wouldn't move the point, and your tip was the solution!
If using the PL12 base with a spring in it you can remove the spring in the point completely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts