Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 30 Apr 2008, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have seen Artitec at Nurnberg & they are very, very nice if a little pricey.

Yep they certainly are...A good example of 2 of their ships are on Chris Nevard's "cement quay"

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Very nice models Neil and thanks for the link - definetely a couple of potential items there for a forthcoming project.

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 30 Apr 2008, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have seen Artitec at Nurnberg & they are very, very nice if a little pricey.

Isn't the farm house on SL an Artitec model?

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Artitect are good however they are resin castings which are painted. These castings are made of plaster which having a high Gypsum content will simulate rock and brick well when stained with appropriate washes. While this isn't that apparent from photographs when you are up close there is a noticeable difference in realism.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Neil,

I Didn't realise that they were gypsum bases - this will make potential distressing of them far easier.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 May 2008, 22:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil,

I Didn't realise that they were gypsum bases - this will make potential distressing of them far easier.

Regards
Hi Dave,
I have to be honest here and say that I don't know for a fact (e.g. I didn't read this on their website) that they are gypsum based however the way that they are weathering is identical to the Gyprock plasterboard medium that I use for modelling stone and brick which is a high gypsum content. When I say identical I really do mean identical. I would be very surprised if it isn't.

The bottom picture in the first post has exactly the same effect that I get with the Gyprock plasterboard. It draws the washes into it and leaves a hint of white at the surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts