Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent an entertaining(?) few hours today investigating how this combination works and the answer is - well, sort of. I am noting my findings here in case someone else wants some clues or has a better solution.

Here's the setup.

It's the overhead gantry and a pair of departure signals part number 4751. I'm using the gantry because I thought it would fit well in the urban part of my shelf layout.

The layout is controlled by a Z21 and its associated app running on my Android phone. As this signal is being controlled as an 'ordinary' accessory, you get some basic 2, 3 or 4 aspect icons to choose from for controlling it. The Z21 signal decoder controlled signal icons are much nicer.

As the departure signal has four aspects, I chose the 4 aspect icon. This allows you to program two accessory addresses with 0 or 1 giving a total of four combinations.

I set the 52292 for independent addressing for all four signals on the gantry - the two departure signals and the two distants below them. When I had set the addresses I started to try the combinations to see what the signals did. What happened made no sense at all, and some aspects did not happen.

In desperation I used two 2 aspect icons for each signal so that only one change request was sent with each command. This worked a lot better and I was able to get all four aspects but when I tried to build a logic truth table of the settings, I found it was inconsistent. After further experimentation I found that the sequence in which the commands was sent was also important which will make getting the aspect I want a bit of a pain and it ain't probably going to work with the route setting in the Z21 app, as you won't be to tell whether a 0,0 combination will get you the double red Hp0 or the red + shunting signal of Hp0+Sh1 :(.

So my conclusion is that Viessmann encoders and the Z21 app don't play nice together. It's a pity as the Viessmann multiplex technology makes connecting the signals to the decoder really simple. If you are using the gantry signal you don't have a choice.

In an ideal world, Viessmann would upgrade their decoder to support DCC ext mode and remove the sequence element of the behaviour and the Z21 App would allow you to use the accurate signal icons currently only available for the signals controller by the Z21 signal decoder. I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

I guess that third party layout control apps such as Train Controller or iTrain have already worked out the idiosyncrasies of the Viessmann encoder and send the appropriate command sequences.

The gantry and the signals are really nice models and will great in their final position on the layout.

David

Reactions: Babz

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Hi David interesting read thank you. Do you think it might work better with the Ecos. I do have a set i bought secondhand but wether my fingers will ever be able to do the fiddly bits who know's
Babs

·
Administrator
10,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it might work better with the Ecos. I do have a set i bought secondhand
Hmm. Dunno really as I have not tried programming colour light signals with my ECoS. I suspect they may behave the same way as the sequencing behaviour is probably a Viessmann thing which is a nuisance if all your controller can do is set a state with a fixed value.
I imagine the sequencing is associated with strings of signals connected together, each depending on its neighbour for its setting.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts