Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking for my collection of purchasing another Virgin liveried class 57 that I can have as a runner seeing as the other in my collection needs some work to get it running again. What I have done is remove the numbers and plates from the non runner thunderbird ready for renumbering. I have found that Fox do the numbers ok in N gauge but I can't find anywhere that do the nameplates which has left me in a little of a quandry. Something I should have taken note of before I had removed the plates from the loco.

I've checked the shawplan site and they do the thunderbird nameplates but only in OO. And fox don't do the nameplates for that loco either.

Any help appreciated to get me out of this self inflicted pickle I find myself in.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I believe a couple are being repainted into Arriva livery for the new north-south Wales train. Presume this means they don't have nameplates any more, though of course you'd have to repaint the whole model.

I have a feeling the owners of the Thunderbird copyright are very touchy about people making the nameplates and logos, though I can't see why this would stop someone who already makes them in OO also making them in N.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at shawplans site again they don't do the nameplates for the thunderbirds but just the other class 57's.

I might just get the Fox renumbering kit and then maybe just try my hand at something to replace and give the impression of a nameplate if I can't get hold of them.

If I can get the dimensions of the actual plates themself I might be able to knock something up on my printer.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Kain, I have a "side on" photo of a Virgin liveried 57. It is too far distant to be able to make out the name but the shape and position are well defined. If you have dimensions for other openings or panels on the side of a 57, you should be able to deduce the size and position of the nameplates. For the contents of the nameplates themselves, you will still have research to do.

Let me know if you would like it. I could try attaching it to a PM.

David

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dwb that would be brilliant if you could attach it to a pm that would be brilliant.

I mean I do have pictures of the thunderbirds myself but very few if any are actually side on. Most are front views or at an angle so it would be very helpfull thankyou.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Kain found these images if they are of use to you
let you have original pics later if they are

Attachments

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Just my ten pennorth but I seem to recall that Virgin and Gerry Anderson would only grant the licence for the logo to Bachmann, so you will probably have to use photographic ones.

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I thank everyone that has posted an answer to my query and I think I am going to have to go forward with the photographed nameplate.

The one thing I've noticed is that the real namplates are all the same size but seeing as I have already removed mine so I can't get the measurements I was wondering if anyone who has one prefferably in N gauge could give me the dimensions that I can copy onto a paint program and then print off to be stuck to the side of the loco.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Kain,

If you can get the plates down to size and print them and are happy iwth them print them out on to clear decal sheet and apply them that way a coat of varnish will seal them in.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that nick I'll bare that in mind when I manage to get the sizes sorted.

Does anyone have one of the virgin liveried class 57's and help me out with the measurements. I don't mind if they are from OO gauge models as I can convert it from the dimensions you can provide.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 Dec 2008, 18:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just my ten pennorth but I seem to recall that Virgin and Gerry Anderson would only grant the licence for the logo to Bachmann, so you will probably have to use photographic ones.

Regards

Dennis Lovett from Bachmann replies:

QUOTE The licensing of all Thunderbird related items is held by Carlton International Media Ltd and was nothing whatsover to do with Virgin Trains. Indeed Virgin Trains had to obtain the necessary licenses from Carlton before it could use the names on its locomotives. Any company wishing to produce models, books or toys etc. of any part of the Thunderbirds copyright protected television series has to go down this road or face the legal consequences. Reproduction of the nameplates on models had to be negotiated directly between model manufacturer and Carlton. Bachmann Europe Plc were able to reach financial agreement with Carlton regarding reproduction of the nameplates, which as part of the agreement were factory fitted. One other manufacturer of Class 57s was able to reproduce the Virgin livery but did not conclude a deal with Carlton and their models were issued without nameplates. To my knowledge no manufacturer of nameplates has been able to reach financial agreement or obtain the necessary licenses to reproduce the nameplates as accessories.

Licensing is a complex subject and negotiations are often lengthy, complex and require extensive legal paperwork to be drawn up. It explains why model manufacturers are unable to introduce new liveries immediately new franchises are granted until all negotiations are concluded and the necessary licenses are in place.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does that then rule out me wanting to do make a nameplate for my own loco then and if not can anyway supply me with the OO or N gauge dimensions seeing as I live on the east coast and cannot easily get next to one for long enough that I can take the measurements of the real thing.

Thanks for everyone who has helped me thus far.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 2 Dec 2008, 11:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dennis Lovett from Bachmann replies:

Well - I was nearly right!

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah you may have been and sorry to sound rude but that doesn't help me out with my original request for dimensions as from my way of taking what has been said doesn't apply to the everyday modeller just the main companies that are going to make money out of it.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***But.... doesn't your first post say you removed the numbers and plates from a non runner thunderbird? If so, surely you have the dimensional information right there.....

and if not... Sometimes we have to help ourselves with readily available information: Its all there for you to find.

Having the nameplate images above provided on a plate, could you not now just scale them according to a readily available online illustration like the Virgin 57's which are shown in good resolution on lower part of the class 57's wikipedia page (click on the images)...

They clearly show the loco side and nameplate position. You have a model to scale against. So... a few minutes with ruler and calculator should do it, and referring to the image of the loco will tell you if you are wrong or right size and position wise when you print it and hold against your model?

regards

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 2 Dec 2008, 18:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah you may have been and sorry to sound rude

Don't worry - no offence taken.

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Managed to get the nameplate measurements from Chris at North Eastern models albeit in OO gauge. I've scaled it down for the N gauge loco and I just need to get them printed off now in colour and find a suitable backing for the transfer once printed so that it sits proud of the body like the etched plates do.

I'll get some pictures done when I get a chance to show the results so far.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***100GSM paper will be plenty thick enough in N scale. Print then aerosol the whole sheet of them with several light coats of clear coat before cutting out with a new scalpel blade or scissors.

Richard

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that Richard. I've been looking around and it seems a little steep price for the paper though. Is it just because of the quality of it that makes it so expensive?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 19 Dec 2008, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that Richard. I've been looking around and it seems a little steep price for the paper though. Is it just because of the quality of it that makes it so expensive?

Less than a packet of **** for 500 sheets .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts