Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Model Rail Forum has recognised that we have a large number of guest visitors who are not members. For whatever reason there are visitors who do not wish to become members yet and participate in competitions or the member themed forum areas.

Its coming up to Xmas and so a lot of new hobbyists may visit Model Rail Forum. For those who visit and don't wish to become full members yet, but who do have a burning question or request for information then please utilise this area and hopefully our experienced membership will be able to help you out, or even other guests.

Remember, no passwords required here!

Community members should continue to use the themed areas of the site but if you do see a plea for help here from a visitor or guest then feel free to respond.

Happy modelling
Gary

G

·
Hi, I am a young starter, and have a damaged LMS Princess Elisabeth in need of repair. Does anybody know where I could go for repairs? I live in Kingston Upon Thames.
Many thanks to whoever will reply!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What is actually broken on your locomotive? Do you have a part number for the locomotive also?

Peter

G

·
Hi Peter,

thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I cannot find the exact locomotive on the Hornby site. It was part of a set called The Royal Train (about 5/6 years ago) and on the box it's called simply LMS Princess Elizabeth. I'm sorry I am not very informed!!

However, I took it to the model shop yesterday and the guy there told me it's not broken, it's just a case of re-fixing bit and pieces...

The front bogie is a bit loose and missing wheels and the pipes are detached (possibly some broken). I do not think it has more damage than that.

I would appreciate any help!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is indeed a nice locomotive.

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures on here of the damage? A picture tells a thousand words, usually

Most things can be screw'd or glued back on!

I'm surprised the model shop was not more helpful?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think this may be the Hornby service sheet associated with your locomotive? Service sheet 251, 2nd one down

I do not own this model, so cannot see what else is missing. Can you spot the parts on the service sheet?

G

·
Thanks!

I'd say Valve Gear Set (#4), which i do not know if it can be put back the right way or if it's damaged; definitely the screw for the front bogie, I'm not sure if the draw bar assembly is in working condition, and I'm missing the couplings for the tender.

And I'm also missing the couplings for the coaches and one of the bogie from a coach!

It's getting worst by the hour!

G

·
Thanks for that, I shall buy spares on eBay then, but I do not feel very safe in handling them on my own without guidance!!

I'll try, but still if somebody address me to someplace where I could get some handy help, I'll be very happy to present myself with loco + spares and goodwill!

Thanks for your help!
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi emanuelle, I have the exact same set, and during running the valve gear locked up and the loco took a flier off the layout to the ground. Needless to say there was quite a bit of damage to the valve gear etc although I was able to straighten it out sufficient to get it running again. However not being happy with it I contacted Hornby and explained what had happened, they asked me to send it to them for repair, which I did and it came back all fixed with an invoice for £20. It runs well now and the only niggle I have is that it does not seem to have a very good top speed or pulling power.

Regards
Albert.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That front bogie looks like one I had on an N Gauge loco and was all loose and floppy so maybe could work if you replace the wheels. My N loco's front bogie was spring loaded into the chassis so I may be wrong and you do need a screw and spring.
Do you have a track to test run on?

G

·
Hello!

I'm a total novice and would appreciate some advice (I guess people like me probably come looking for this kind of advice every year around this time). My son (who's 5, but probably quite mature and a total train buff) has asked for a train set for Christmas. We live in Switzerland and have the option of either a Marklin or Bachmann starter set:

My Start with Märklin" Starter Set. 230 Volts. (DHG 500); or
Digital Starter Set, from BACHMANN-Branchline 00, item Nr.30-040.

These seem the same to me. Is either one preferable for any reason?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I agree with Brian. If you're in Switzerland, especially the german speaking side, you will find that Maerklin is by far the most popular and most widely available. On holidays to Switzerland, Austria and southern Germany, we always seek out model / toy shops and never fail to find Maerklin in stock.

There's one very important point to be aware of - Maerklin trains run on AC at the track. The current is fed through the two rails which are a single electrical connection. The current then returns through a series of almost invisible studs in the centre of the track - making the system three rail. Most other model railway systems feed DC to the track and the two rails are isolated from each other. You cannot mix the two types.

There's no reason for this to put you off Maerklin as its huge popularity means that other continental manufacturers such as Roco produce AC compatible rolling stock so they can sell to Maerklin owners.

David

1 - 20 of 106 Posts