Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 59 Posts

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Just got home to find my package had arrived. I can see why the horns get damaged because they project, are a very thin in cross section, and they will inevitably break when compressed against the foam box filler. The box filler needs a recess to prevent the horn being compressed against the foam. Are these going to be easy to replace as the remaining horn assembly is glued in place to the body. Really these should have been left off and included as part of the detailing kit.

Any recomendations?

Horns aside the model does seem to offer excellent value for money in a Heljan type box with maybe 40 to 50 detailing parts to fit!

Not run it yet as I want to sort out the horn position first before moving forward. When it comes to things like this I prefer to leave things in the box until there is a resolution but thats me.

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
When browsing the images note the two traction tyres with one fitted on each bogie on opposite sides. The loco was set up on my Hammant & Morgan rolling road to film the lights. Loco weighs 560g. What I like about it is that it feels solid in a Lima sort of way (granted ViTrains have slipped up with the airhorns but it won't happen again) and the handrails are moulded and not wire but hey who cares as they look OK. And there is an interior so if you want to place a driver on a seat you can do although it is not superdetailed but then you couldn't really see the detail if it was. The windscreen wipers are fitted as part of the detailing kit.

For those who want to fit a decoder note the clear instruction leaflet with images showing you how to remove loco body and how to install the decoder.

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I can see the position of all sides on this and I do agree that the model looks better in the flesh as bright flash lighting does make light colours seem brighter than they are. We should not overlook the running gear with its two flywheels and also that the model is European and not Chinese and this is a consideration for some. As a £50 European model I think its remarkable! Remember the detailing parts have not been fitted yet.

It is interesting that modellers from mainland Europe appear strongly in favour of their models being produced within the EEC whereas those from the UK don't seem too bothered where they are made as long as they are cheap!

The room lighting was dimmed to take pictures of the loco lights and this is a worst case scenario. In normal room lighting bleed is not obvious.

And as far as the shape goes I have looked at prototypical images and like others here I am struggling to find much that is out with the shape. It seems OK and the taper seems right.

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
QUOTE As for haulage tests can I be provocative and suggest a head to head test with any Bachmann 37 anyone can find? I doubt if the Bachmann loco would be disgraced (I have a hazy recollection the new Bachmann 37/4 will have a new 6 axle drive mechanism, or it this merely confabulation? )

Traction tyres give a loco a minimum of a 50% advantage and I have experienced cases where the advantage is 100% or more on some tender drive locos!

Remove the tyres and you have to add significant weight to the model which puts a strain on the motor and running gear unless this is all upgraded aswell.

At the ViTrains 560g how much heavier is the Bachmann?

And if you don't like the light situation there is a simple solution. Turn them off!

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
QUOTE Ah well so much for go easy on it.

Welcome to UK 4mm D+E....

Is it really like that?

Why?

Old Lima and Hornby stuff seems to have a good shape to me and millions like me. Is it simply a point scoring thing?

I am afraid that forums that are full of that sort of tosh are a total bore. And if D & E chat here takes us down that route then we should ban D & E discussion in my view (and my view alone!)

These are toys to be played with after all and talk about how we enjoy playing with them seems far more fun (for me) than talk about whether a model rivet is in the right place.

The most important thing for me about the ViTrains Class 37 is the way the packaging has damaged the airhorns. As for the rest as a £50 model its seems very reasonable with a lot of nice features. If modellers wish to upgrade things a touch then they have this opportunity and no doubt those same modellers would do similar tweaks to all models including Bachmann's finest. I'm not really in that league and look at things from the point of view of personal satisfaction and I am satisfied (once horns sorted).

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Is the D & E community really as Peter has indicated?

I'm shocked if it is. They all sound like football hooligans. I've never encountered anything like this (except on the Bachmann stand at the Warley Show) but then I am more a steam man and whenever I travel on the Severn Valley it all seems very polite and cream teas and cakes and scones.

It also has to be said that SK of Hornby does get "shouted at" at the Warley Show. These could well be D & E fanatics. I cannot imagine steam fans making the same noises! Probably more of a whistle than a loud horn!
I wonder if Bachmann staff get the same treatment?

People often say I should get out a bit more however it sounds as if I am better off stopping in!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS it now makes me wonder how orderly that queue was for the Bachmann Scotrail special? I can imagine a few bruises being suffered especially as there would have been a lot of red headed hard folk from Glasgow in the queue!
(no offence to red headed folk from Scotland however you do have to admit that there is a certain reputation for hard drinking and hard living up in those parts....)

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
From accounts elsewhere it does seem that these models are selling out.

The limited edition David Lloyd George is now sold out and the Regional Railways livery is moving fast. A good start for this new company especially when folk were a little unsure what to expect. I am firm in the belief that this is a good value mainline diesel model for £50 and if the only real issue is the horns then buyers will be happy. Its pretty much down to how stockists react to the request for replacements as to how the company is viewed on this.

The packaging comes up to Chris Leigh's standards. The DCC decoder is easy peasy to install with no body fixing screw to mess with. It has lights at both ends. It has two flywheels to help slow speed running. Its almost certainly got the hauling power of more expensive locos. I'll probably fit a decoder next week as it is so easy and I am encouraged to fit one as a result. Complex body removal arrangements do put me off. The loco will get a run at Warley MRC on Tuesday and I have a rake of 10 BR blue coaches to take along. Running in should sort out any drive noise.

I am struggling to really see what the issues are if there really are any. Its interesting to observe that where retailers have taken pictures of this model for their own websites the horns of the models pictured also have damage!

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I 've looked at various images I have found on the web and compared angles and I really am struggling with this one. The image below has the same livery as David Lloyd George and I have held my model up against the image at the same angle and whilst the bottom skirt could be deeper the rest of the loco looks good. There may be practical issues with mould removal or the chassis that limit what can be done with this lower skirt on the model. The ride height seems just about perfect so again I am struggling to appreciate the comments that the model is riding high. Mention has been made of a nose aerial and I cannot see one in this image. And looking at the image the yellow seems the right factory fresh shade to me! :-

The website with further images is at www.brelimited.co.uk

Maybe others who own the model would care to look at the image and share their thoughts.

What will be inevitable is that comparisons will be made with the new Bachmann version and at this time only Bachmann know the type of feedback to expect when the two models are placed side by side as Bachmann may well have a ViTrains model on their development desk as we speak!

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
We had two of these running together at Warley MRC last night pulling a good rake of coaches. Took some pictures which I will post later if I have the time as its the Warley MRC AGM tonight and I'm a little busy right now!

Every club member came up and mentioned the light bleed and because we mentioned that we were getting a little tired of hearing this we suspect word got around to deliberately walk up, take a look, and mention the light bleed! We were running in one of the darker parts of the club room to be fair and it was also said that the lights are very bright.

Slow running with a good long rake pulling away from a station is OK and the other good thing is that there are certain areas at joints and points on the layout that are uneven and not once did the loco come off. Some of the coaches did though!

Now Bachmann Class 66's do at these areas if not driven carefully so the point mentioned above about how the ViTrains loco copes with uneven track seems valid. The Bachmann Scotrail special that ran last week was OK so the "coping with uneven track" issue seems hit and miss.

With all the Class 37 talk last night there are a few hot tips to pass on with regards to which models to get your orders in for.

Reliable sources suggest that "City of Worcester" from Bachmann and "Caerphilly Castle" from ViTrains are predicted to be exceptional sellers requiring early pre-ordering.

Happy modelling
Gary

· Premium Member
2,740 Posts
That was been the reason implied for the high demand for these 2 particular yet to be released models. There has been a lack of green Class 37's appearing in the shops in recent times and there is a pent up demand for green locos. And its been suggested that the Class 37 looks better in green.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 13 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.