Metal hand rails
Etched roof fan grille
Separately moulded roof fans fitted
Precise body reproduction including rivet detail
Intricate reproduction of chassis, bogies & buffer beam detail
Buffer beam & cab front super detail parts included
NEM Coupling / NEM socket for decoder
Sprung Buffers

Die Cast heavy metal chassis delivers powerful traction capabilities.

Powerful 5 Pole motor with twin flywheels linked to Double Cardenshaft transmission.
Helical gears for precise mesh & improved traction.
Reduction gearing via 10 gear sealed unit in each bogie.
Twin axle drive on each bogie
Directional red or white LED constant brightness illumination
Sealed lighting units prevent bleed

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd buy one because they look right...the box will the same as Bachmann(quality) and Heljan use....very sensible!!
Phil
waiting for a back dated one

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
looking good.

i hope its priced correctly.

i personally dont really want a 47 but there are more kitbash options for the 47 wheelbase than there were for the 37. i think silver fox is going to be getting some money from me!

the box for the 37 was very good. lift off top with some decent foam. actually allot better than most!

with my critical eye on for a moment there is something not quite right about the roof just above the side windows. it look like its sticking out a little too far. this looks like a very late pre-production model. i wonder if its too late to correct that. or mabye its just the angle of the picture.

18 months ago i would have been saying something along the lines of "oah dear. not another 47" but i think in the current economic climate we need some more budget models and kitbashing subjects. perhaps this is the real dawn for vitrains.

Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've read somewhere (MREMag, perhaps??) that it will retail at around £90, so no bargain. I welcome another 47 as there really isn't a definitive model yet. However, they won't be getting any of my money until they backdate it to give 60s/70s 2 tone green versions - the greatest livery of all for these magnificent and successful machines.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Still more expensive than the Bachmann model, which retails at around £55. Its going to have to be good for me to part with cash

Russell

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 18 Oct 2008, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>with my critical eye on for a moment there is something not quite right about the roof just above the side windows. it look like its sticking out a little too far. this looks like a very late pre-production model.

To my mind it looks like it's the window that's wrong - not the roof - but as you say Peter, it could be the angle of the photograph. We will just have to wait and see.

Regards

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 24 Oct 2008, 10:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To my mind it looks like it's the window that's wrong - not the roof - but as you say Peter, it could be the angle of the photograph. We will just have to wait and see.

Regards

I must say i'm no expert on class 47's but it does look like a nice model, I agree the two tone green does look one of the best liveries for a 47 although the res livery sets them off nice also.
That retail price of around £80 surely if thats the MRP wont it be on sale for a little less than that i recently picked up a DRS 37 for about £48.

Paul

·
Registered
982 Posts
The Hejan one is too fat
The Bachmann one has the wrong fuel tanks and rivets round the windows
The Hornby one , well where do I start..........

There is a space for a new 47, particularly as Bachmann seem only to produce 3 liveries a year. ViTrains will give much more choice. I'm waiting to see it in the flesh and see if it warrants the increase in price from the 37, but if they do a Scotrail 47/7 I reckon I'll be hooked.

Russell

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Here's a photo I took of the pre-production model at Warley

David

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
And this one's only got 5 of its' wheelsets on the rails, so that makes it a non-starter.

If Vi get this model right it will look like the Bachmann offering, which is the best attempt at the overall shape of a 47 yet sighted in OO. (So it has some small detail errors, easy to fix, and Bach will probably sort it.) What doesn't convince me in this photo is the height of the roof above the windows, looks just a shade too deep to me: (usual caveats that distortions arising from photographic system and software rendering may give a false perception) the relative proportions of height from rail to bottom of bodywork, from bottom of bodywork to bottom of front window, and height of front window, look good; but against each of these units, from top of window to peak of roof looks too deep.

Getting the basic shape right is crucial; despite its' many undoubted good qualities the overwidth body of the Heljan killed it as a model for me. When the Brush type 4 appeared what was so striking about it was the neat and compact outline compared to the EE and BR/Sulzer type 4's: and the Heljan model just did not capture that. Whatever, best wait for the production item in reality for final evaluation.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Well it looks pretty good to me, although it will probably look much better when painted.

The thing that always makes me chuckle a little is whenever a new 4.0mm model comes out there is always critisism about the odd half a millimeter here, curve there & so on - nobody seems to notice or mention that the wheels are too close together making any 4.0mm model look top heavy from the front or three-quarters view.

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
Brian,

Convincing body shape is where it's at for me, in terms of the appearance of a model. With the general improvement in detail and finish on UK product my feeling is that this has become relatively more important too. Just 15 years ago, I was happy to hack away at the Bachmann (nee Mainline) Peak in order to correct some of its' grosser infelicities, quite confident that the end result would look better than the item as supplied. But lately, I find myself inhibited. Exhibit one is the generally very good Hornby class 30/31, on which the cabside windows are incorrectly positioned; (should be more recessed and parallel to the body sides, the whole cab was distinctly narrow topped) the problem being that the work required to solely alter the problem area without affecting the excellent finish elswhere, and then matching that finish in the reworked area, all looks exceedingly tricky. It has been challenging me on the 'to do' list for three years now!

As for the OO thing, it is much less visible with diesel and electric traction. The wheels are typically largely concealed behind sideframes correctly positioned relative to bodywork, and where visible, wheel rims or faces come out to the correct width. The mind is a wonderful selective editor.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Here's a 1:1 clip from the original photo. There is a slight overhang of the roof over the first side window but I think the effect is exaggerated by the light in photos. To the naked eye it doesn't seem so prominent. I deliberately took a close look in view of some of the comments near the start of this topic.

David
Train Toy Motor vehicle Vehicle Rolling

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I recently got qan email telling me that a limited edition of the bachman 47 that i had ordered has been put back over a year in the production schedules There is plenty of room for vi trains to take the market off bachman as they are much better geared up to getting the models to market

That said I don't fancy any of the early releases . I also don't like the fact that vi trains insist on every model they produce having a radio aerial when only a few locos were so fitted not the the whole class !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts