Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew wether the Venice Simpleton Orient Express currently runs with Aluminium or Wooden paneled coaches?

If anybody also knows the Names and numbers of the the coaches used?

Regards

Alistair

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello Alistair

This is a simple question with a very colplicated answer.

To the naked eye they all look like aluminium panelled coaches BUT some of them are wodden panelled coaches that have the wodden panelling plated over to comply with regulations.

I understand that at least 1 of them actually had the wodden panelling restored and then the sheeted over.
a real shame i would have loved to have seen it.
The orient express web site is actually very good and gives you a breif description of each coach both in the UK rake and the continental one.
You can also order broshours that have one or 2 nice pictures in them.

I would love to go on it but i am so afraid of it not living up to my expectations. i prefer to leave it as a dream.

Peter

P.S. its "Simplon" not Simpleton!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
[quote name='pedromorgan' date='27 Oct 2006, 08:05' post='14343']

This is a simple question with a very colplicated answer.

Additionally at least one of them used to be in the Brighton Belle electric sets (5BEL) This resulted in it having to be completely rewired and new braking systems added - an expensive restoration if ever there was one.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
oah yes many of them are former brighton bells. they are easy to spot because they are slightly narrower at the top than at the waistline. a unique feature among the pullmans.

Orient express actually owns all 5 cars from one of the brighton bells.
They were all completly rewired and many had new braking systems fitted when they were first used for the express.

the heratige railway carridge ragister is on the web somewhere and its a great source of information.
Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Of course they don't use the driving cars in the trains, they are stored at Stewarts Lane and when Ilast saw them they were looking very world weary.

regards

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts