Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a choice of operating either wagons or coaches on your layout to the exclusion of the other which would it be and why?
Wagons840.00%
Coaches1260.00%

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This debate has been going on since railway modelling was invented in the 19th centuary by Marklin.

So now that we are in the 21st centuary you now have the opportunity to have your say!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a bit of both here.

I like to have one of my Princess' hauling 11 Mk1s around our clubs layout but I also like to have my 8F hauling as many wagons as I can fit into the fiddle yard.

but if I had to vote I guess it would be coaches. It doesn't take as long to make up a long train!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I do like a long train of Private Owner wagons(different owners) , there is something special about that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Given that most of us have limited space to operate in, it would make sense to have more wagons than coaches as we would be more inclined to operate a branch line scenario where freight would be more prominent and the only passenger trains would consist of about three coaches.

Or am I just kidding myself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It has to be coaches for me.

I like named trains, e.g. Rheingold, Golden Arrow, Atlantic Coast Express, Bournemouth Belle, Kentish Belle.

A rake of CIWL or Pullman coaches conjures up times of luxury rail travel and tales of intrigue.

Dirty smelly wagons do nothing for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would prefer the coaches but as I have a branch line scene I can have a "mixed bag" a couple of coaches with a wagon or two.

The best of both worlds one might say
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run exactly what I feel like when I feel like it - that's the beauty of modelling as opposed to real life!

Happily, the fact is that no one need be forced into such an artificial 'either/or' choice. I'm at something of a loss as to the reasoning behind it. Personally, I think that all polls should have a compulsory option,

"I don't care!"

That's really not as flippant as it looks.
It's a legitimate way of finding out what people do and don't actually care about, rather than leaving them with the only option of just not 'voting' at all. If the reality is that a lot of people genuinely don't care, that is a meaningful factor. Without that information, trying to make sense of a reduced number of votes that don't reflect what people actually think is rather pointless at best and positively misleading at worst. The third option would also enable people who didn't 'vote' to see the results without automatically eexcluding themselves from a registered count.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Sometimes there are only either/or decisons to make.

QUOTE I'm at something of a loss as to the reasoning behind it

This was a "Pat Hammond" inspired poll as he highlights this debate among modellers in one of his books and so this was a high tech method of determining the actual definitive answer for Pat. I was going to point Pat in this direction at some stage.

Maybe that why so many people don't turn out in national elections for goverments?

Maybe it is the panic induced by the thought of actually having to make a decision that puts folk off voting. How would you feel if you where just about to go in for major surgery and the doctors who were about to operate were as indecisive?

There have been those who have argued for a "don't care" box on electiion ballot slips. This is linked to the argument to make voting compulsory.

Voting is not compulsory at MRF and the question in this case makes it very clear that there is only a choice of either/or to be made.

Now I have produced every poll here since day one.

What ideas do members have for polls on the subject of railway modelling?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE How would you feel if you where just about to go in for major surgery and the doctors who were about to operate were as indecisive?
Admittedly it might be a little worrisome if the surgeon couldn't decide between a hysterectomy or a vasectomy before slicing you up!

With respect, trucks or coaches is hardly a life and death decision for most people, who generally do have a mixture of both available. I seriously suggest always offering some form of compromise option so that the numbers registered might increase and so become more meaningful.

BTW, I don't think anyone is going to reissue a book on the basis of an extra 16 'votes' from a forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts