Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Some of you asked me about my Walmington Pier Tramway layout in the Introductions page:

It is 3 feet long x 6 inches wide, self-supporting, and represents an Edwardian seaside pleasure pier with its own tramway in HO.

The pier is a shaped oak plank mounted on lots of Hornby High-Level Bridge Piers (with the tops cut off and levelled) and in turn they are stuck to a sheet of ply covered with Busch 'sea foil'. The shore end is represented by a Kibri stone bridge pier. The pier deck is covered entirely with Wills planking panels and fencing is someones OO fencing cut down by a third for HO. Pier structures consist of: Woodland Scenics Folly (to represent bandstand), Langley Punch & Judy stall, numerous Peco benches and an Atlas Telephone Shanty as the shore end hut. Prieser 1900s (actually British Edwardian figures - this is official from a wardrobe mistress of the Royal Shakespeare Company who saw the model at an exhibition) populate the layout.

Unlike most layouts where the track goes down quite early on in the construction, on Walmington Pier Tramway, the track is the very last thing to be installed - I used 30" of Setrack (the second track to be used on this model due to wear and tear) filled in with Wills planking and sleeper ends covered with Plastruct angle to kill off the 'main line' appearance of the track, each end of the track finishes with a Peco 009 buffer stop inserted into the sleeper beds.

The tram is an Anglised Bachmann San Francisco Cable Car with all American fittings (roof boards, bell, front guard) removed and expertly glazed and repainted by Graham Weller of Eastham Works. There is a luggage trolley made from a Playcraft coach bogie with a balsa deck that is coupled to the car.

Overall, it is a very low-tec layout, but it is unusual and therefore attracts crowds.

Available for any show anywhere as well as weddings, funerals and Bahmitzvahs!!!!!

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 6 Jul 2007, 13:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So where's Captain Mainwaring and the platoon?

The name came out of desparation! Back in 2001 Walmington Pier Tramway made its first showing, this was the telephone conversation 48 hours before that show:

Exhibition Manager: We've had a flu epidemic thats knocked out some of the visiting exhibitors, could you bring your pier railway layout?
Me: AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH! I'm scared to exhibit it as its too minimalist for an exhibition.
EM: Don't worry, it'll be different and our club want to see it.
Me: OK, let's suck it and see.
EM: What are you going to call this layout?
Me: I haven't a bloody clue!
EM: Can't put that on the programme!
Me: I can!!!!
EM: I'm watching Dads Army on TV.
Me: So am I, oh bugger it, lets call it Walmington Pier Tramway.
EM: Walmington Pier Tramway it is (closing theme of TV programme heard in background)

And the rest is history...........

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I do like that - lots of thought and inspiration for others.

Regards

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 9 Jul 2007, 15:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So, when do you start a tramway then ?

I just knew you'd say that........................

Regards

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts